so...i am indecisive!

dWebster

Arachnopeon
OK thanks for all your help everyone!! i well let you all know soon what i decide to go with :) :). . . .

IrishPolishman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definitely wait on the Regalis. Go with something from the NW species list. Swiftinverts.com has a pretty good list with descriptions that should help you out a lot!

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's not G. smithi. It should be B. smithi (Brachypelma smithi).

I would recommend a B. smithi as a second T.

Regalis is fast and more venomous. I think it's better to familiarize with a defensive terrestrial/burrower first before going into pokies.

Keeping a versi is not easy (the experts will say otherwise but that's why they are experts!). Do some research, you will find many people crying over dead versi.
Hah! My first were versi's, my next were Pokies, no problems at all.

regalis are stunning spiders, fast growers, and great price. Like the OP, I have no interest in terrestrial stuff. Who wants to wait 6 months between molts? Pokies are the best.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hah! My first were versi's, my next were Pokies, no problems at all.

regalis are stunning spiders, fast growers, and great price. Like the OP, I have no interest in terrestrial stuff. Who wants to wait 6 months between molts? Pokies are the best.
I don't think genic, parahybana and difficilis take 6 months between molts and they are terrestrial. And then you have fast burrowers like OBT.
And I think in general, there are a lot more people complaining about dead versi slings than dead B. smithi sling or rosea sling or all kinds of other slings.

Last edited:

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think genic, parahybana and difficilis take 6 months between molts and they are terrestrial. And then you have fast burrowers like OBT.
And I think in general, there are a lot more people complaining about dead versi slings than dead B. smithi sling or rosea sling or all kinds of other slings.
You misquoted me bro.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
While doing your search consider these two species, which are much more entertaining than (B. smithi or G. rosea). Green Bottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) or the N. chromatus, both are very active and big eaters, and very colourful. The GBB will web the entire tank, and the N. chromatus will eat and strike at anything.

And both are more forgiving should something go wrong, "bite", in comparison to a pokie.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd stick with the smithi if you are looking only at those three. Though if you want an awesome looking terrestrial and can only have one I'd prefer A geniculata than B smithi. They are both tight, but the latter is more interesting behaviorally, impressively sized, etc. And it genuinely looks awesome. Some T's look a lot better in photos than IRL (the versicolor would be one of those), but geniculata is not that way. It's awesome in real life.

Anyway those three T's are so different from each other that there are a lot of tarantulas that are similar and better in some ways. In my opinion you should do a little more research until you decide what type of tarantula you want, then it will be easier to give you good advice.

Good luck.

dWebster

Arachnopeon
yea the reason i was looking at the versi and smiti is because i am able to get my hands on those pretty much anytime. as far as the regalis i was just seeing on waiting on getting a t tell i find one. (my girl says i can only get one :( ) and as you all know with T's THAT IS HARD TO DO!! i have done quite a bit of research on the species i can get hear but that is about all. i just brought this thread up to see which t's you all preferred. :)

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's never an easy decision when limited to just one. But if that was the case, I would pick something much different than the current spider owned.

"T's" come in almost every imaginable colour, and attitude. Research and pick one that suits you. You found AB, your choice options have grown considerably

I can only offer my choices when in a similar situation years ago. While a B. smithi will always be a favorite of mine, there are many others which offer entertaining characteristics worth considering as well.

Good luck with your choice

lilboyblu123

Arachnopeon
smithi all the way. mine is a hair kicker but she is sutch a good desplay T. she just hangs out in the middel of the tank. she is also a real agressive eater, she hits anything that hits the substrate. such a cool T!!!

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
smithi all the way. mine is a hair kicker but she is sutch a good desplay T. she just hangs out in the middel of the tank. she is also a real agressive eater, she hits anything that hits the substrate. such a cool T!!!
this thread is from january...check the original post date before you contribute.