So Guess What My Husband Got Me Last Night??

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
My honey, who is always threatening me, saying that I am 6 bugs away from "walking papers" did something extraordinary last night.

(If you've seen my signature, you'll understand just how wonderful it is).

We returned late last night from an orchestra rehearsal downtown, when he spotted something near the garage. I couldn't even see it, until he brought out the flashlight and showed it to me.

Shortly, it was in a container and delivered to me, appearing to be dead as it sat all balled up on the floor of its new home.

Later on, she was just fine, hanging out near the top of the container.

Can you guess what it is? ;)

Wysi

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no idea, anymore hint?
but u are a bug closer and 5 bugs away from the paper!!

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
no idea, anymore hint?
but u are a bug closer and 5 bugs away from the paper!!
Yeah, it seems I made that joke to my husband last night -- saying he was just trying to get another step closer to getting rid of me before we hit our 18th anniversary. ;)

Tony -- you got it! It's an L. mactans girlie.

It's really pretty too. Has the red on its back. Don't some black widows only have the hourglass? Is that just a difference in subspecies??

She was munching on a roach earlier. I'm glad they are not particularly aggressive. Seems she wants to hang out just under the lid of her tall deli cup. I had to open the opposite side of where she was sitting and drop the roach in.

She seems really small. Maybe about an inch at the very very most. I'm thinking she may be a young one that hasn't had a chance to meet a cool fellow for dinner. ;)

Either way, we aren't taking any chances. NO EGGSACS allowed!! *grin*

Thanks for your input. :)

Wysi

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your spider is probably L. hesperus, the western black widow. Not sure how far west L. mactans extends, but I didn't think it was to AZ. I could be wrong. The two are often very simmilar looking, but appearance can very over the range. Immature females of both species often have red markings on the back, but these USUALLY dissapear by the time they reach maturity, but some retain it. If your spider molts, then you're safe, no fertile sacs, although she may make infertile ones.

Wade