So bummed all my Ts seem to be male :(

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Just had a Hapalopus sp. large, hook out last week. Not upset at all. I swear it’s legs tripled in length, the change is quite spectacular, and I’m happy I was able to see it. Now to find him some lady spiders.
Trust, my E. cyanognathus hooked out the other day and he is pyar legs :rofl:

I got this pic of my MM P. cambridgei before I sold him on, whaya knarbout legs?

View media item 47405

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Speaking of which, when buying an unsexed T around 2” from a seller is it likely they are males? Or are the chances still the same 50/50?
Depends on the seller tbh. All but one of the unsexed juvies I've purchased from TSS have been male (including the P. cambridgei in the above post), I've picked up others from other sellers that have turned out to be female.

cold blood

Staff member
Speaking of which, when buying an unsexed T around 2” from a seller is it likely they are males? Or are the chances still the same 50/50?
2" is still pretty small to be sexed for most people. But with juvies, it does depend on the seller....there are many unscrupulous people that pawn off males as unsexed, which makes many people cautious or suspicious of unsexed juvies...for a reliable seller though, unsexed means just that, unsexed. Funny thing is that it seems like 75% of the juvies I sell as unsexed turn out to be females....lol. A truly unsexed juvie is no different odds wise than an unsexed sling.

Last edited:

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I just got a C. Fimbriatus sling and I'm really hoping this one turns out to be male. I have a female who is about a year from maturing and if this sling turns out to be male he should mature in one or two years and then I can pair them. If it turns out to be female, well, I'll just buy a Male and try to pair him with both. This is one time when I actually want a male lol.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I am in the minority of people may be pretty disappointed with males. I am not interested in breeding, trading or selling. I don't even like preparing and packing non-living items to mail them, so I'm certainty not enthused over preparing something that might perish if I'm not careful. I generally don't even like the way MMs appear. I still take the same care of them until they expire as I would a female but I become sort of detached. On the other hand, I still am sorry when they finally bite the dust.

Itsybitsy2

Arachnopeon
2" is still pretty small to be sexed for most people. But with juvies, it does depend on the seller....there are many unscrupulous people that pawn off males as unsexed, which makes many people cautious or suspicious of unsexed juvies...for a reliable seller though, unsexed means just that, unsexed. Funny thing is that it seems like 75% of the juvies I sell as unsexed turn out to be females....lol. A truly unsexed juvie is no different odds wise than an unsexed sling.
Hm perhaps my best bet is to just get a female grammastola iheringi and acteaon. I got two unsexed juivies from reputable sellers afaik that both turned out male. Idk if it’s worth the monetary risk of trying again.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I don't mind males at all. Besides, were it not for my male P. Platyomma when could I name a spider Sleazy P. Martini?

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hm perhaps my best bet is to just get a female grammastola iheringi and acteaon. I got two unsexed juivies from reputable sellers afaik that both turned out male. Idk if it’s worth the monetary risk of trying again.
Iheringi males are awesome. They grow fast and look really cool. They also get pretty big before maturing. My male is at least 5”, maybe more stretched out. And he’s not mature. He’s my favorite male for sure.
D221368B-DCC4-4DDC-8237-C6E14A086DB3.jpeg

Itsybitsy2

Arachnopeon
Iheringi males are awesome. They grow fast and look really cool. They also get pretty big before maturing. My male is at least 5”, maybe more stretched out. And he’s not mature. He’s my favorite male for sure.
View attachment 270066
Oooh he’s a beauty! Ok I don’t feel so sad. Lol ;) they are a fun beautiful species. Perhaps I will invest in another or two and cross my fingers for a female! :)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
what are everyone's feelings about finding out your T molted and it's male?
I currently have two confirmed males, and I enjoy them as much as my females.

It's a little sad when a male matures, because it means my time with him is almost up, but I still value the experience. I meet other keepers and trade for other tarantulas.

I just shipped my first mature male (Dolichothele diamantinensis) off on Valentine's Day, and I'm hoping that I can have one of his slings to carry on the legacy. (The female molted shortly after he arrived, so last I heard, she was hardening up while he kept tapping away at her.)

It really depends on whom you're dealing with. It could be genuinely unsexed. (Sexing by molt is a little time-consuming, and some sellers may choose not to do this to save time, even if it means missing out on extra revenue for the females.)

The other possibility is that the seller knows or suspects the tarantula is male but dishonestly decides to sell it as unsexed to get a better price or attract more buyers. (The assumption is that only breeders would knowingly buy a male.)

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
You have received much good advice from very experienced people on how to deal with the circumstance of discovering yourT’s are male. However, I’m getting the idea from the title of your post that you want to avoid the circumstance altogether, and it is quite simple to avoid the bummer. Honing what @basin79 stated in his response, get off your wallet and buy sexed females.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
what are everyone’s feelings about finding out your T molted and it’s male?
In order

1. Time to make some money!
2. Time to expand my collection!
3. Another T I don't have to feed!
4. Great, it's going to die soon, can't wait to fill that container with something else!

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
I just got my 2" B. vagans sling confirmed as a male a few days ago and I don't care much, at least I know now. Sure I'd rather a female, but now I can possibly buy a female to pair him with when he reaches maturity.

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
My first tarantula matured and hooked out 4 months after I bought him, and I still adore him.. I cherish every day I go to the animal room and see hes still roaming his enclosure, alive and well . He makes sperm webs often still after being matured for 7 months. Males are always interesting to watch, and when raised from slings you get a long life from them and possibly more slings.

An all male collection is pretty awesome, you can loan them out and aquire so so many more slings (and possibly more money to buy more tarantulas!)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm having bad luck with the Ephebopus genus so far. First E.murinus turned out male. Got a sling and it's a male again. I can get good prices for them, that's something, but i want that big bulky white striped monster instead of a flighty brown sling-sized male.
E.cyanognathus turned out to be male as well, blegh. :shifty:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Of my first handful of tarantulas, I did buy a 2 inch confirmed male N. chromatus. He was pretty cheap, I was looking for another T, I wasn't overly concerned with males vs females, and I knew that it would provide me with invaluable experience early on about sexing and mature males.

That being said, I admit I did feel a glimmer of joy when I looked under the microscope at an old molt from my suspect male C. versicolor, and discovered the slight possibility that "he" might actually be a "she"

starnaito

Arachnosquire
what are everyone’s feelings about finding out your T molted and it’s male?

I feel the general consensus is that most people prefer females because of life span. Also appearance?

Just curious to see what everyone’s thoughts are/trying to feel better about the mass amount of males I apparently have in my collection.
When I got my first tarantula, I was also under the impression that females were better due to the longer lifespan, but I'm no longer disappointed about discovering that one of my Ts is male. I have no intentions to breed, and I'm on the fence about whether I'll ship mine out to breeders when they're ready. I've gotten attached to my males just as much as my females, and I'll be sad to see them go. My A. genic and A. avicularia are nearing maturity, and I've really loved having them in my collection. On the bright side, it will free up space for more Ts...

athlete96

Arachnosquire
In order

1. Time to make some money!
2. Time to expand my collection!
3. Another T I don't have to feed!
4. Great, it's going to die soon, can't wait to fill that container with something else!
Yea this is my thought process too. As must as I'd love a booty-ful female that I can feed and have a long time, males just don't bother me. I don't mind the shorter life spans and I'd be interested in shipping out any males I may have for breeders.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm having bad luck with the Ephebopus genus so far. First E.murinus turned out male. Got a sling and it's a male again. I can get good prices for them, that's something, but i want that big bulky white striped monster instead of a flighty brown sling-sized male.
E.cyanognathus turned out to be male as well, blegh. :shifty:
Ih ih ih like James Brown said: It's a Man's Man's Man's World :playful:

jok :kiss: :troll:

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don’t have a problem of having way to many males, unless the majority of my spiders were all slings and were males. Since I deal with a lot of young juveniles and adults the majority of my spiders are females. I ventral sex spiders before I purchase them, it is why I end up with lots of females.