So bummed all my Ts seem to be male :(

Itsybitsy2

Arachnopeon
what are everyone’s feelings about finding out your T molted and it’s male?

I feel the general consensus is that most people prefer females because of life span. Also appearance?

Just curious to see what everyone’s thoughts are/trying to feel better about the mass amount of males I apparently have in my collection.

cold blood

Staff member
Males are the best...they make the hobby's world go 'round.

Every male is an opportunity at free expansion. Breeders will either buy them outright or happily trade for slings of other species.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
what are everyone’s feelings about finding out your T molted and it’s male?

I feel the general consensus is that most people prefer females because of life span. Also appearance?

Just curious to see what everyone’s thoughts are/trying to feel better about the mass amount of males I apparently have in my collection.
Excluding one or two spiders, I'm just as happy with a male. Males are an opportunity to build relationships with other keepers through breeding loans/trades/etc., and they sustain the hobby. We need males to have captive-bred tarantulas at all.

I really like the breeding side of the hobby, so I'm a little biased in my opinion :p

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I like females, but I don't breed or sell. The only t's I have traded or sold have been male. I have an obt male that is on his last legs. If u can' trade them then u have to deal with them running circles around their enclosure till they get exhausted and die. Pass.

cold blood

Staff member
Sounds strange, but the fact is that faster, high strung species are often the easiest to pack for shipping. Its the stubborn, slow movers that are typically the biggest pains...fast species often run right in with little provocation.

Itsybitsy2

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for your input! I am not sure if i want to breed in the future which is why it kind of sucks i have so many males! If not hopefully I can find someone with a nice girl for my males in the future. :)

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks everyone for your input! I am not sure if i want to breed in the future which is why it kind of sucks i have so many males! If not hopefully I can find someone with a nice girl for my males in the future. :)
But the point of what I was saying was that you don't have to be willing or even want to breed...all you need to do is be able to pack and ship...the people you send/trade them to will do that part.

You can easily turn one MM into several slings of a few different species.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I usually buy sexed females from trusted sources. Yes I pay more but I know what I've got.

That typed I've recently bought an unsexed Poecilotheria ornata sling. My plan is to not even look at the moults to sex until I've had it a good 12 months. That way I won't be disappointed for a year.

If I've got a male I'll move it on for someone to breed off him.

cold blood

Staff member
I usually buy sexed females from trusted sources. Yes I pay more but I know what I've got.

That typed I've recently bought an unsexed Poecilotheria ornata sling. My plan is to not even look at the moults to sex until I've had it a good 12 months. That way I won't be disappointed for a year.

If I've got a male I'll move it on for someone to breed off him.
ornata can be dorsally sexed around 2"

Itsybitsy2

Arachnopeon
But the point of what I was saying was that you don't have to be willing or even want to breed...all you need to do is be able to pack and ship...the people you send/trade them to will do that part.

You can easily turn one MM into several slings of a few different species.
I undrdgsnd what you were saying. I’m just thinking out loud about the whole breeding. I would like to but the thought of all those babies seems intimidating! so many deli cups!

cold blood

Staff member
Oddly That pic kind of makes me excited to try breeding. All those little babies!!!
In a short time you develop a routine...huge sacs can be time consuming to a degree for sure, but smaller, sub 200 sacs aren't really all that difficult to deal with....especially good eating slings. I even have an easy plan for those that are pre-molt or freshly molted. I have a separate area pre-molt ones go...and shelving next to the masses, day 1 post molt they go to the top shelf, and for 3 days they drop one shelf level, day 4 they get fed....so even with big numbers, its still easy to keep everyone on track.

Last edited:

Itsybitsy2

Arachnopeon
In a short time you develop a routine...huge sacs can be time consuming to a degree for sure, but smaller, sub 200 sacs aren't really all that difficult to deal with....especially good eating slings. I even have an easy plan for those that are pre-molt of freshly molted. have a separate area pre-molt ones go...and shelving next to the masses, day 1 post molt they go to the top shelf, and for 3 days they drop one shelf level, day 4 they get fed....so even with big numbers, its still easy to keep everyone on track.
Ok so this is all doable. Lol well when the time comes I’ll ask you guys for help! :) I do have a good red runner colony going as well as confused beetles so plenty of food for little babies.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
I don't particularly have an issue with raising males. As someone who just wants to keep tarantulas for the joy and interest of having them, males are fine.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'm not too bothered, I just sell them on to someone who needs an MM, if I enjoyed keeping the species then I'll get a sexed female to replace it, if not then I'll get something else.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I have one sexed female A. geniculata, but my GBB, P. irminia, C. versicolor, G. pulchra, and P. sazamai are all unsexed.

I have to say I would be a bit bummed if all 5 of mine turned out to be male, but on the other hand the thought of sending them off in exchange for new slings or *gasp* trying to breed one myself does sound exciting.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Just had a Hapalopus sp. large, hook out last week. Not upset at all. I swear it’s legs tripled in length, the change is quite spectacular, and I’m happy I was able to see it. Now to find him some lady spiders.

Itsybitsy2

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for the input! I feel better about it and excited for a potential breeding project in the future. I think the bummer of it is that this can all get pricy really fast if I buy guaranteed females vs risking unsexed.

Speaking of which, when buying an unsexed T around 2” from a seller is it likely they are males? Or are the chances still the same 50/50?