So angry with Petco

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
As some of you know I keep my Leela (A avic) in a vertically flipped 10 gallon monstrosity that we've made work until we could the exo terra nano tall. We ordered one from petco. I was so excited when we received it. I opened it, checked out the front. It was perfect! My husband and I immediately made plans to turn the top screen into plexi. My mom was visiting, and she was the one who noticed the massive crack in the back. My new home for Leela was unusable. Soooo disappointing! So, right back to petco it went. We were hopeful that we could get a replacement in store, but they aren't sold in stores. The employee told me (she actually has reptiles and taranrulas) that she never orders from petco because they pack horribly most of the time. She orders from amazon.

So, now I've had to wait until today to order from amazon. Leela seems fine still, but I don't like that tank. At all. Has anyone ordered a nano tall from amazon? How was the packing? Are the nano talls the best out there for an A avic?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
They're very nice, aside from the mesh top. My A. avic is in one as we speak. No issues in getting it from amazon.

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
They're very nice, aside from the mesh top. My A. avic is in one as we speak. No issues in getting it from amazon.
That's reassuring. Thank you. I don't want it to happen again. The container store has been our best friend, but they haven't got much that would work great for her (and my husband is picky... wants crystal clear homes for all). The mesh will go. Husband is buying plexi for it. We'll attach it to inside where the mesh is, or remove the mesh completely.

Edit: It is on the way. My little one will have her proper home in days. Down side? She just started using her doggone log! Usually she only hangs out on the glass. Even when eating (cute, because she grabs what ever is on the menu, careful to just tippy toe on the ground... or when drinking when some feet are on the water and some on the glass). When we move her, I hope she still uses the log. It's adorable. She looks so... lazy for lack of a better word :)

Last edited:

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
This thread turned me off to petco more than I already was.
I mean, right? It wasn't just a small crack either. They packed it horribly. Just a box. No bubble wrap, no foam, no peanuts. It's especially bad when their own employees tell you not to order from them. Glad the cashier I was returning with was a T/reptile momma.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I mean, right? It wasn't just a small crack either. They packed it horribly. Just a box. No bubble wrap, no foam, no peanuts. It's especially bad when their own employees tell you not to order from them. Glad the cashier I was returning with was a T/reptile momma.
One star yelp review worthy in my opinion.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I absolutely refuse to order anything from Amazon for a plethora of reasons so I can't really help.

I get mine from Pets At Home as they're cheaper and just over the threshold for free shipping.

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
I absolutely refuse to order anything from Amazon for a plethora of reasons so I can't really help.

I get mine from Pets At Home as they're cheaper and just over the threshold for free shipping.
As Professor Farnsworth would say... Ah, hell!!! Man, I need it to come in whole. No cracks! If this should fail, what would you suggest? That is crystal clear (husband approved... He likes to see them).

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
As Professor Farnsworth would say... Ah, hell!!! Man, I need it to come in whole. No cracks! If this should fail, what would you suggest? That is crystal clear (husband approved... He likes to see them).
I'm in the UK so I can't really offer much in the way of alternatives.

I've only ordered from Amazon twice but both times they screwed up, I have a ton of other reasons not to use them (their treatment of workers, no PayPal, they pay almost no UK tax, etc.) though.

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
I'm in the UK so I can't really offer much in the way of alternatives.

I've only ordered from Amazon twice but both times they screwed up, I have a ton of other reasons not to use them (their treatment of workers, no PayPal, they pay almost no UK tax, etc.) though.
One of my customers did say they are shite to work for... if you can suggest a container store or Hobby Lobby alt, I'm all ears. She's an adult A avic in a horrid 10 gallon tank.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
One of my customers did say they are shite to work for... if you can suggest a container store or Hobby Lobby alt, I'm all ears. She's an adult A avic in a horrid 10 gallon tank.
Do they sell something similar to these? They're 11L pantry boxes made by a company called Hobby Life, they're slightly larger than an exo terra nano tall and pretty clear (not glass clear but clearer than RUBs)

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
I looked into it, but all were on amazon... and 52 bucks at the cheapest. Would've been perfect. However, I'm off Sunday, so we might take a trip to the container store and show that photo.

JoP

Arachnosquire
Not sure where you're located, but you might also check local Craigslist. It can be hit or miss, but I've actually scored some really great enclosures for dirt cheap prices there. Most of the time I find people who just want to get rid of enclosures to free up space, so they're willing to go pretty low on pricing if you haggle a bit. But I also custom-build backgrounds for all of my enclosures, so I prefer to find "diamonds in the rough" that I can work with, so to speak.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Petco/Petsmart is the worst when it comes to ordering, but if I received a cracked enclosure, I would use aquarium silicone to patch it up. Every time I go to a Petsmart/Petco, I would jump into their giant dumpsters and would hit jackpot. Because, their junk is amazing, you have no idea what treasures I found in their Trash/dumpsters.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Keep forgetting this is a Pet store over the pond, thought this was a complaint about The Dark Den creator. Lol

Dorifto

He who moists xD
IMG_20180804_014507.jpg Be carefull with the mesh of the exo terra. My G. pulchra was hanging all the time from the mesh. She got stuck twice with her hooks on it.

I would suggest you a full glass enclosure if you can return your broken one.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
If you have the stomach to manage eating a ton of cheese puff balls (or finding someone to pawn them off on), Wal-Mart has a perfect sized tub for arboreals. I'll post pictures shortly, but I have my C. versicolor in one and it will be her permanent home. They're clear, top opening, and can be easily modified with holes and such for ventilation. I actually put two small screen vents on the top and side just to ensure there's enough ventilation, but obviously that's not necessary. It's actually a bit bigger than what I have my adult female A. avicularia in currently (a large kritter keeper turned vertically), but it's much nicer looking than the KK and if it wasn't for the fact that she's settled in, I would rehouse her into one. The only con for me is that they're round, so they take up a fair amount of unnecessary room

I believe this is the one I bought: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Utz-Cheese-Balls-28-Oz/37319722

Again, pics of the setup enclosure will be posted in a bit.

Edit: Here's the pics I promised. Sorry it took way longer than I planned and sorry the picture quality sucks. The container itself is clear, but her webbing and picture quality is making it hard to tell.
20181006_113800.jpg 20181006_113829.jpg 20181006_113914.jpg 20181006_114022.jpg 20181006_113931.jpg

Last edited:

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
View attachment 288612 Be carefull with the mesh of the exo terra. My G. pulchra was hanging all the time from the mesh. She got stuck twice with her hooks on it.

Petco/Petsmart is the worst when it comes to ordering, but if I received a cracked enclosure, I would use aquarium silicone to patch it up. Every time I go to a Petsmart/Petco, I would jump into their giant dumpsters and would hit jackpot. Because, their junk is amazing, you have no idea what treasures I found in their Trash/dumpsters.
Keep forgetting this is a Pet store over the pond, thought this was a complaint about The Dark Den creator. Lol
View attachment 288612 Be carefull with the mesh of the exo terra. My G. pulchra was hanging all the time from the mesh. She got stuck twice with her hooks on it.

We plan on replacing the mesh completely. If not removing it, covering it with plexi.
Also... huh about dark den? Dunno anything about that. LOL!