So Angry at Myself...Molting T?

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
He's in a smaller sterilite tub with ventilation holes now. Damp substrate but not soaking. A full water bowl. He was standing for a little while but just fell again onto his back. I am trying to drip water into his mouth and he seems to be taking some in. It may be too little too late but I'm trying. I feel awful that the research I did do and the advice I did take was wrong. I should have came here first. It was a very sad and big mistake but I am learning the hard way. I hate that this had to happen. Thank you for your advice and warnings. Before purchasing any other species I'll use this forum. I will keep you updated but I would really hate to put him in the freezer. How long does he sit like this before I do something about it? It's been 30 hours since I found him.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
He's in a smaller sterilite tub with ventilation holes now. Damp substrate but not soaking. A full water bowl. He was standing for a little while but just fell again onto his back. I am trying to drip water into his mouth and he seems to be taking some in. It may be too little too late but I'm trying. I feel awful that the research I did do and the advice I did take was wrong. I should have came here first. It was a very sad and big mistake but I am learning the hard way. I hate that this had to happen. Thank you for your advice and warnings. Before purchasing any other species I'll use this forum. I will keep you updated but I would really hate to put him in the freezer. How long does he sit like this before I do something about it? It's been 30 hours since I found him.
It might not be something you want to watch, but I personally wouldn't put him in the freezer at all. Tarantulas don't feel pain like you or me, so he isn't suffering. There's been stories of tarantulas pulling through much bleaker situations, so I would never give up on it prematurely

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
It might not be something you want to watch, but I personally wouldn't put him in the freezer at all. Tarantulas don't feel pain like you or me, so he isn't suffering. There's been stories of tarantulas pulling through much bleaker situations, so I would never give up on it prematurely
Oh thank goodness. I would hate to do that anyways. Thanks. I'll keep some hope but he has stopped taking water with the pipette, so I'm going to leave him alone. Time will tell

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Oh thank goodness. I would hate to do that anyways. Thanks. I'll keep some hope but he has stopped taking water with the pipette, so I'm going to leave him alone. Time will tell
As far as i'm concerned, as long as there is motion there is hope. You've got him an appropriate setup now, keep him somewhere warm and quiet and check in on him from time to time, try some more water later if he's still hanging on. Fingers crossed for a recovery, but in the event that he doesnt you're better informed now. Sorry things went this way, I know it has to feel pretty awful.

This forum has a great wealth of information at your disposal, and when in doubt all you need is ask! That's why we're all here. :)

Darth Molt

Arachnosquire
Here he is this morning. Doesn't look too great. Still extremely wobbly. Poor guy. :(
I would be surprised if he makes it till night fall he’s no
Here he is this morning. Doesn't look too great. Still extremely wobbly. Poor guy. :(
hmmm look at the shiny black bald spots on his legs I wonder if he had a bad molt last time and it’s just now effecting him because he’s about to molt again? I’m not in expert so don’t listen to me ;)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sterilite tubs with cross vent holes are much better enclosures for theraphosa. I’d never try to keep one in a glass tank. As good a display as it looks it’s still to hard to keep proper conditions for the spider in my opinion.
It totally depends on how the glassterrarium is built! You dont wanna use the wrong one. There are bad ones, and thete are good ones! Here in europe there are exellent glassterrariums, built especially for Theraphosa!

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
It totally depends on how the glassterrarium is built! You dont wanna use the wrong one. There are bad ones, and thete are good ones! Here in europe there are exellent glassterrariums, built especially for Theraphosa!
Yes you’re right I was meaning a regular aquarium with only top vent. If it’s custom u can build it however u want that works. By the way that’s a very nice pike in your avatar. Nice catch!!! PS- you should ship me one of those then I’d love a glass display for my big girl ;)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aha, yes those aquarium tanks are not good no! Yes thank you! Yes i like pikefishing! Both lure fishing and angling! Why dont you go on holluday to Sweden and buy a glasdtertarium whilst you are here!?:angelic:

Do you like fishing? I would like to come to usa and fish Musky and bass!

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
Aha, yes those aquarium tanks are not good no! Yes thank you! Yes i like pikefishing! Both lure fishing and angling! Why dont you go on holluday to Sweden and buy a glasdtertarium whilst you are here!?:angelic:

Do you like fishing? I would like to come to usa and fish Musky and bass!
Yes I love to fish. And a musky is tops on my list. Unfortunately I haven’t caught one as I live in the Deep South. Louisiana. But we have huge flathead catfish and alligator gar and very big largemouth bass here but too warm for pike or musky. Up north they have both pike and musky. There’s a small chain pickerel here in certain areas of the state but I haven’t seen one personally. And we have the Gulf of Mexico which has excellent saltwater fishing.

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
Yeah I was looking at those as well. His last molt in my care seemed to go well, but who knows :confused:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes I love to fish. And a musky is tops on my list. Unfortunately I haven’t caught one as I live in the Deep South. Louisiana. But we have huge flathead catfish and alligator gar and very big largemouth bass here but too warm for pike or musky. Up north they have both pike and musky. There’s a small chain pickerel here in certain areas of the state but I haven’t seen one personally. And we have the Gulf of Mexico which has excellent saltwater fishing.
That sounds amazing! I tell you what, if you buy me a ticket over there! I buy a nice glassterrarium for you!!!:angelic:

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
He’s standing for longer periods of time now! Hovering over his water bowl, maybe he’ll drink soon. He did flip once and I had to right him again. I’m hoping he’ll get stronger soon.

Alright so he is still kicking today. He keeps laying in his water bowl. I’m not sure if he wants to be in there or not. Question is, is it ok that he lays in there upside down? The substrate is still nice and damp. He has started hissing at me again and moving his fangs a lot when I flip him back over. I’ve included a picture of him before I flipped him. The only issue I have is that if I leave him in the bowl I don’t think he has the strength to get back out. His book lungs are not underwater. Also, is there anything else I can do for him? He’s still wobbly. Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Molt

Arachnosquire
Alright so he is still kicking today. He keeps laying in his water bowl. I’m not sure if he wants to be in there or not. Question is, is it ok that he lays in there upside down? The substrate is still nice and damp. He has started hissing at me again and moving his fangs a lot when I flip him back over. I’ve included a picture of him before I flipped him. The only issue I have is that if I leave him in the bowl I don’t think he has the strength to get back out. His book lungs are not underwater. Also, is there anything else I can do for him? He’s still wobbly. Thanks.
That’s not good there’s not much you can do I would leave him be for a couple hours or days
I think he’s trying to molt you shouldn’t flip him back and over or bother him I would leave him alone for a couple days. Theres not much you can do but wait

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
Alright, I’ll stop messing with him then. I hope he can get through the molt. Thanks :)

Unfortunately he’s in the process of leaving us now. It’s really sad. Thanks for all your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I'm going to reiterate that I find myself INCREDIBLY doubtful he was trying to molt. He's far too thin to have been able to molt. I can't think off hand of any other specific reason he was flipping onto his back except maybe he just kept falling over in his water dish, but I really don't think he was in premolt. His bald spots are still peachy in color, not dark to indicate that he was preparing to molt.

Very sorry for your loss. Hopefully you'll have a better experience next time if you decide to get this species again.