So Angry at Myself...Molting T?

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
So I hate to post this because I now know that moving her was stupid, but I don't know what to do. I have had my Goliath for under a year now. I try and keep her around 80% humidity. She used to eat dubias around once or twice a week. Around a few weeks ago, she went into premolt(or at least stopped eating. There IS a bald patch on her abdomen that has darkened. She has not made a molt mat), so I just kept her nice and humid and waited it out. However today I found her on her back in the full water bowl out in the open. Instead of taking some of the water out like a smart person, I called my 'friend' who sells and cares for T's. He told me to take her out of the bowl. So I gently removed her from the water bowl. Bad idea, I feel awful for doing it. She tried to run but half of her legs weren't moving. I wet the substrate carefully and left her alone. Well that was almost 12 hours ago... She will flail about every once in a while but she has not popped her carapace or made any progress as far as I can tell, but I'll be damned if I touch her again and make that mistake twice. The pictures were taken after I had moved her, but she is the exact same now, only she has rotated some. It looks dry in the picture but I moistened it up after taking it. I'm not sure what to do other than wait. I would hate to be the one responsible for killing her! I'm so upset. Do I wait? I don't want her to suffer. IMG_2019.jpg IMG_2018.jpg

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Sadly, that looks like a death curl to me. :(

I don't have experience with Theraphosas, but I think the substrate might be too dry for this species. It's not the humidity in the air she needs, it's the moisture in the sub. If you only moistened it up after taking the picture and kept her that dry most of the time, that might have been a factor in her current condition.

I would try to drop some water directly onto her mouth parts and see if it disappears. If it does apply more. She might be severely dehydrated.

Last edited:

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
Sadly, that looks like a death curl to me. :(

I don't have experience with Theraposas, but I think the substrate might be too dry for this species. It's not the humidity in the air she needs, it's the moisture in the sub. If you only moistened it up after taking the picture and kept her that dry most of the time, that might have been a factor in her current condition.

I would try to drop some water directly onto her mouth parts and see if it disappears. If it does apply more. She might be severely dehydrated.
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I usually keep the substrate very moist, Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to water her this morning when I should have and the mesh lid I have on top sucks out a ton of moisture fast. Big mistake. I just feel awful for my poor T. I really loved her, this sucks. I'll try to drip water into her mouth, thank you.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I usually keep the substrate very moist, Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to water her this morning when I should have and the mesh lid I have on top sucks out a ton of moisture fast. Big mistake. I just feel awful for my poor T. I really loved her, this sucks. I'll try to drip water into her mouth, thank you.
You say you have a mesh lid... could it be she climbed and fell onto/into the water dish?
Mesh are generally considered dangerous, for terrestrial species especially, as the Ts can get their tarsal claws stuck in there and by trying to get themselves free, they could fall (to their death if there's too much height as well). Some time ago I watched a pretty awful vid where a Theraphosa got herself stuck in the mesh and was desperately trying to untangle herself. :(

Last edited:

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
You say you have a mesh lid... could it be she climbed and fell onto/into the water dish?
Mesh are generally considered dangerous, for terrestrial species especially, as the Ts can get their tarsal claws stuck in there and by trying to get themselves free, they could fall (to their death if there's too much height as well). Some time ago I watched a pretty awful vid where a Theraposa got herself stuck in the mesh and was desperately trying to untangle herself. :(
I had no idea they were bad! That's so sad. I was told it was okay. I'll definitely use the tank for something else after this :astonished:
I mean anything is possible, I didn't see anything happen. There are no obvious injuries but that doesn't mean they aren't there. There's a 2 or 3 inch gap between the lid and the substrate. I think that's a little too much? Ugh I feel awful.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Only 2 or 3 inch? :wideyed: That's almost too little depending on the size of your T. ;) How big is she?
But that doesn't mean she couldn't get stuck.

You just have to switch out the lid. Get a custom size cut acrylic sheet and drill vent holes into it. I think there're a few ideas and tutorials floating around on the boards how to do that. :)

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
Only 2 or 3 inch? :wideyed: That's almost too little depending on the size of your T. ;) How big is she?
But that doesn't mean she couldn't get stuck.

You just have to switch out the lid. Get a custom size cut acrylic sheet and drill vent holes into it. I think there're a few ideas and tutorials floating around on the boards how to do that. :)
LOL sorry its like 2 am here, it's nowhere near 3 inches :wacky:. My measurements are not good this early in the morning! The space is a good amount, enough for her to be comfortable in and not too low. She is not full grown. Hard to tell while she's curled but maybe 6 inches?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I hate saying this, but I'd say that if he (yes, "he", sorry to make matters worse) was upside down like that in his waterbowl and with the behavior, I'd vote on a fall resulting in an internal injury. That's certainly not a molting spider. Since Theraphosa sp. are such massive spiders, they are particularly susceptible to injury in a fall.

Unfortunately, all you can really do is put a water droplet or so on his mouth and hope for the best. I hope he pulls through for you

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very sorry for your loss, but never use meshlid! They are to ventilated for a T blondi, and they are dangerous for the tarantula to get stuck in! This topic has been taken up here before! Im sorry to say this in your grief, but newbees HAS TO make some reasearch!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
They are to ventilated for a T blondi
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's too much ventilation, especially not when you need the sub moist, as long as the keeper mantains the proper moisture levels.
Im sorry to say this in your grief, but newbees HAS TO make some reasearch!
That's a bit harsh IMO. I also wouldn't consider the OP a newbie (joined these boards in 2013), she just might have not come in contact with the information/fact that mesh lids are considered dangerous. I mean there're probably countless T keepers with mesh lids in their terrariums. Every Exo Terra/Zoomed/you name it glass enclosure has screen/mesh lids. So, that's basically a common standard, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Not molting, abdomen is far too small. I'm in agreement that the substrate is far too dry. I suspect that, not a fall, is probably what killed your T - it was hanging out over the water dish because it needed the moisture, but unfortunately it wasn't enough.

Even though you keep up humidity, it was useless to your T - humidity up in the air does nothing for your T all the way down on the ground. That's why we stress not to chase humidity numbers, as to the T it's completely useless. The substrate itself needs to have been wet down into the lower layers. The surface layer can dry a little bit, but overall you'd have wanted to keep it all damp. Without that, from what I understand is that Theraphosa, being such large Ts, need that moisture for their booklungs to properly work. The booklungs are located on the ventral side of the abdomen - facing the ground.

You can post images of your entire setup to give us a better idea of what could have happened, but I'm thinking it was just too dry in there.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's too much ventilation, especially not when you need the sub moist, as long as the keeper mantains the proper moisture levels.

That's a bit harsh IMO. I also wouldn't consider the OP a newbie (joined these boards in 2013), she just might have not come in contact with the information/fact that mesh lids are considered dangerous. I mean there're probably countless T keepers with mesh lids in their terrariums. Every Exo Terra/Zoomed/you name it glass enclosure has screen/mesh lids. So, that's basically a common standard, unfortunately. :rolleyes:
Open ventilation mesh is in my opinion too ventilated, but they can be modded of cause. The worst part is that a climbing tarantula more likely will get stuck in the net, and a blondi will mire likely rip its leg of!
Dont meant to be harsh, just pointed out that one must make research before buying say a blondi. If one made a research about terrarium one would read that mesh should be avoided! Thats all i neant! This was written with best intrest in mind!

sasker

Arachnoprince
Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to water her this morning when I should have and the mesh lid I have on top sucks out a ton of moisture fast.
How do you water the enclosures? Do you spray it or do you pour water onto the substrate? If substrate is properly moistened (that is, not only the top layer has been sprayed down, but all the substrate underneath it is moist as well) it shouldn't be a matter of one day between being moist or completely dried out, regardless the amount of ventilation. Unless you put a heat mat under the enclosure, a heat lamp above it and ventilator sucking air out, of course.

she just might have not come in contact with the information/fact that mesh lids are considered dangerous.
Seems a bit unlikely to me, though. Not using mesh lids is among the most perpetuated gems of information on AB, along with using max. 1.5x DLS height between the top and the substrate for terrestrials, and not to chase humidity levels. One must try really hard NOT to find this information while browsing this forum.

just pointed out that one must make research before buying say a blondi.
I have to agree with @Vanisher here. I don't have any tarantulas of this genus myself, but I know that their requirements are a lot less forgiving than those for a B. hamorii. Without doing research and keeping it like a Brachypelma will result in the early death of a T. blondi. That's not rubbing it in or being harsh, it's just cause and effect.

I was told it was okay.
@Zanyamarie I am really sorry for the situation your tarantula is in. Please do primarily research on Arachnoboards. Any information you find elsewhere that conflicts with what other experienced keepers share on AB is likely to be false. Tarantulas do die sometimes due to our mistakes. Stuff happens. But we can always learn from our mistakes. And thank you for sharing!

boina

Lady of the mites
First things first: that's a dying (male) tarantula, no way that spider is molting.

There's some conflicting info in this thread, though. You said you kept the humidity at 80%? How did you do that? Where did you measure? You also said you watered the substrate down daily… that seems excessive, but nevertheless the substrate looks dry... so I don't really know what to make of this.

If you watered as much as you said and kept the humidity that high that's possibly too much. If it is as dry as it looks it's too little moisture. So, I don't know.

A fall is a possibility, but I don't think so, actually. Fallen tarantulas rarely stay on their back. It looks more as if the tarantula is ill, possibly from too much/too little moisture.

cold blood

Staff member
Every Exo Terra/Zoomed/you name it glass enclosure has screen/mesh lids. So, that's basically a common standard
It may be common, but that doesnt make it right....these enclosures are designed for reptiles, not ts.

The issue with top venting only in a moist environment like a Theraphosa needs is that it doesnt allow for enough air exchange...which is why tubs are most often reccomended for the genus.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
So, that's basically a common standard, unfortunately. :rolleyes:
It may be common, but that doesnt make it right....these enclosures are designed for reptiles, not ts.
Well, I didn't say that it was right. You withheld an important part of my post. ;)
I was just trying to guess/explain why the OP missed that important information. :)

cold blood

Staff member
Well, I didn't say that it was right. You withheld an important part of my post. ;)
I was just trying to guess/explain why the OP missed that important information. :)
i was agreeing...just explaining.

Bigme213

Arachnosquire
Sterilite tubs with cross vent holes are much better enclosures for theraphosa. I’d never try to keep one in a glass tank. As good a display as it looks it’s still to hard to keep proper conditions for the spider in my opinion.