Snapping turtles breeders?

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I've always caught common baby snappers (Chelydra serpentina) when I was younger and would keep them for about a week before releasing them back and even now that I'm 27 I still love to catch them to take a few pictures here and there while kayaking, fishing and crabbing in brackish water. Now that I've saved up for such an investment I've been wondering who to buy a young cb from since I dont know anything about online turtle breeders. Any recommendations would be a huge help.

cold blood

Staff member

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
most places do not allow for the sale of snappers....many states prohibit even keeping them as pets.

I had a bunch I saved from a late fall hatch in a busy parking lot. I kept one of them for almost 7 yrs until recently.

Never bred them or heard of anyone who has.
From all my research including what animal control officers told me (I use to work at an s.p.c.a.) in the state of New Jersey it is legal to own common snapping turtles (no permit required either) as long as it is not wild caught and that you have proof of purchase stating that it is in fact cb BUT... it is illegal to purchase any turtle within the state of New Jersey so any transactions must be done out of state even if two jerseyans only take three steps into Pennsylvania.

cold blood

Staff member
From all my research including what animal control officers told me (I use to work at an s.p.c.a.) in the state of New Jersey it is legal to own common snapping turtles (no permit required either) as long as it is not wild caught and that you have proof of purchase stating that it is in fact cb BUT... it is illegal to purchase any turtle within the state of New Jersey so any transactions must be done out of state even if two jerseyans only take three steps into Pennsylvania.
And without captive breeding, that highlighted bit there could end the search before it begins.

I wouldn't expect to find captive born and bred snappers...and even if one did, what proof could one offer to prove they are captive bred.

I would bet zoos would be the best bet for captive bred ones...and zoos don't typically sell to the public.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
There's some snapping turtle Facebook groups I belong to. Easy enough to find and start a thread in them asking.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Anyone kept Alligator snappers?

Sad that they are endangered =/

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel

I almost bought a hatchling about 20 yrs ago at a reptile show. But reality set in and I realized what I was getting into, that being their enormous size. Ended up with a great basin gopher snake instead.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
And without captive breeding, that highlighted bit there could end the search before it begins.

I wouldn't expect to find captive born and bred snappers...and even if one did, what proof could one offer to prove they are captive bred.

I would bet zoos would be the best bet for captive bred ones...and zoos don't typically sell to the public.
There are quite a few captive breeders of common snapping turtles now. Their are even various morphs available in the hobby. OP, the Turtle Source is a reputable breeder of a very large variety of turtles (and a pioneer in various turtle color morphs) and I would start there (google Turtle Source). Hope that helps.

Thanks,
--Matt

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +

Not yet, but I have plans to. I just need to jump through all the necessary hoops first. They are listed as endangered in illinois and as native. According to my research, in Illinois, I have to get an Endangered or Threatened Species Limited Possession Permit. To get that permit, I have to supply pictures of the fully setup enclosure and my plans for future growth. Then, once the permit is issued, I have to provide the receipt for a captive bred individual to the state and renew the permit annually.

Next is actually finding the animal. I happen to live one state over from the largest captive breeding facility (Loggerhead Farms) so good news for me. However, I view this animal as a lifetime commitment, and I want something truly special. Every now and then, Loggerhead produce leucistics and that's what I want. So, I'll wait to get the permit until I have a shot at the all white alligator snapper.