1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snake world to spider world

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by TjlJean, Feb 12, 2018.

1. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    To add to this example, Australia is very strict because several introduced species have already done massive damage in their country. Their hyper-sensitivity is probably justified.

2. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Yes, of course. That's a reasonable issue. Sucks, but reasonable, unlike that Maine dumb law.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CyclingSam

CyclingSam Arachnoknight

Utah
    My G. pulchipes was Free. I did not know what she was when I got her, and it took me 6 months to really start appreciating her. Now I love her. Get the G. pulchipes. They are the cheap, they grow fast, they get big, and they are beautiful! Mine loves digging all the time and flipping her water dish. DSCN8532.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  4. CyclingSam

CyclingSam Arachnoknight

Utah
    I'm curious about the laws. Could you shoot me a link to them? I find it odd that all tarantulas would be prohibited with the exception of the three you listed. Are you sure that you do not need permit to even own one. Also check your city ordinances, because they may be stricter than the state.

5. thevez2

thevez2 Arachnosquire Old Timer

Check post #7.

Those 3 are the only unrestricted species. You can get a permit to keep restricted species, but those permits are meant for zoos and research entities, not pet keepers.

6. CyclingSam

CyclingSam Arachnoknight

Utah
    I was interested in seeing the actual law. It is probably buried somewhere in Maine Rev. Stat. §12 and I am not motivated enough to dig for it. So for now, I'll just make a note to never move to Maine.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

And Connecticut as well. I've heard (here, on this site) that in CT T's aren't so 'welcome' too :)

8. darkness975

darkness975 Dream Reaper Arachnosupporter

Check out some of the surrounding states. You'd be sadly surprised at some of the idiotic "laws" regarding DANGEROUS POISONOUS INVERTEBRATES

9. thevez2

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/12/title12sec12152.html

Title 12: CONSERVATION
    Part 13: INLAND FISHERIES AND WILDLIFE
    Subpart 4: FISH AND WILDLIFE
    Chapter 915: HUNTING: SEASONS, REQUIREMENTS AND RESTRICTIONS
    Subchapter 15: WILDLIFE IMPORTATION AND POSSESSION PERMITS AND REQUIREMENTS

§12152. Permit to possess wildlife in captivity
    1. Permit required.
    [ 2003, c. 614, §9 (AFF); 2003, c. 655, Pt. B, §422 (AFF); 2003, c. 655, Pt. B, §201 (RP) .]

1-A. Permit required. Except as otherwise provided in this Part, a person may not import wildlife into or possess wildlife in the State or receive or possess wildlife imported into the State. The department shall maintain a list of unregulated fish and wildlife species for which a permit under this section is not required that is available to the public. Each day a person violates this subsection that person commits a Class E crime for which a minimum fine of $50 and an amount equal to twice the applicable permit fee must be imposed. The commissioner may grant a permit to introduce, import, transport, receive or possess fish or gametes in accordance with the provisions of section 12509.

The list, as mentioned in bold, was in the link I previously mentioned, and is here: https://www.maine.gov/ifw/docs/unrestrictedspecies.pdf

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. CyclingSam

CyclingSam Arachnoknight

Utah
    Thank you. This is just crazy to me. I wonder who decided that those 3 spiders were okay but the rest were not? They threw a dart at a board while blindfolded no doubt.

11. Tia B

Tia B Arachnopigeon Arachnosupporter

Arizona
    Why didn't they just say all Grammostola species? Exotic laws never make any sense.

12. thevez2

That would have made a little more sense. Especially since they meant to include a rosehair (G. rosea), but now that intended spider is technically illegal since it is actually G. porteri.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Probably some "expert" pet store worker.:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

The link someone provided lists 3 species that DO NOT require a permit for ownership. Are you sure if you wanted a different species all you you’d need is a permit?

15. thevez2

That was my thinking as well, until I read through all of the information and the permits. The permits are only for zoos and research institutions, not personal collections.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bscheidt1020

bscheidt1020 Arachnoknight

NY
    Similar story to the OP...snake guy to a spider guy too and G. pulchra for the win! Stout appetite and proportionately the largest fangs I have seen(may be an illusion but their fangs look huge!). Feeding time with my 3 little G. Pulchra can rival my A. Geniculata feeding but the size of the fangs of the Grammy is just gnarly when you see them working over a super worm!

• Like Like x 1
  17. TjlJean

TjlJean Arachnopeon

Maine
    I think I am going to be ordering a g. pulchipe once the weather warms up, thanks for the suggestions! Hopefully sometime in the near future Maine’s laws on exotics will change to make a little more sense. :shifty: Or maybe I’ll have to relocate to fulfill my dreams of owning different exotics, I don’t think my goats would mind a little warmer climate anyway :woot: