1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snake world to spider world

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by TjlJean, Feb 12, 2018.

1. TjlJean

TjlJean Arachnopeon

Maine
    Advertisement
    Around a year and a half ago, I decided that even though I love my cats and other animals dearly, I wanted something a little less typical. I did months of research, and after looking around, was able to adopt a rescue Ball Python. I LOVE snakes, and she’s definitely the coolest animal I’ve ever owned. Although I’d love to add to my snake collection, I have recently been drawn towards tarantulas. I have spent days watching videos, reading articles, and surfing this forum in my spare time. I’ve come to the conclusion that my next pet will certainly be a tarantula, and that I will now enter the spider world. I had my heart set on a Aphonopelma chalcodes, but unfortunately I live in a state where only three (Choices, choices ) kinds of tarantulas are legal, and it is not one of them. So, I have come here to seek advice from the knowledgeable ;). My choices are Grammostola rosea, Grammostola pulchripes, or the Grammostola pulchra. I’ve personally been leaning towards the Golden Knee, but I’ve heard many, many different things about all three of those I listed. I’ve been trying to find local spiders to cut down the cost ($100 on multiple websites to buy an ship a Grammostola rosea to my house, is that steep or a good price?) but have had no luck, so I am going to have to order from a website I suppose. I’ve done a fair amount of research on all three, but would like some input from those who know firsthand! This will be my very first spider, and from reading hundreds of posts on this forum, I’m convinced it won’t be my last

• Like Like x 3
  2. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

All the three Theraphosidae you mentioned (G.rosea, G.pulchripes, G.pulchra) are, care talking so set up/parameters, basically the same. Differences are obviously in the pattern/colours and in the fact that the last two doesn't 'hunger strike' like G.rosea loves to do.

I can't help about the price part because here in Italy (and in the whole Europe) T's are way cheaper. Prices are not even comparable. Obviously, for my standards, $100 for a G.rosea is a nonsense (and I'm talking about a sexed female, eh) but maybe in the U.S is fine, don't know.

G.pulchra, price-tag talking only, deserve a chapter 'per se'. While not priced like in the U.S, they are definitely more pricey than the other two, here where I live (still, again, not even near the U.S prices I've heard here).

My suggestion is to opt for a G.pulchripes, and directly a 0.1, if you can. Overall a very good Theraphosidae for start. But buy what you prefer, of course.

Sucks to hear about that Maine T's ban, but I blame S. King for that :shifty:

3. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Care for all three is pretty much identical (G. pulchripes are slightly more moisture tolerant but still prefer things mostly dry).

If you put a gun to my head and told me to pick just one then I'd go for the G. pulchripes. It gets the biggest, grows the fastest, has the best appetite, generally has the best temperament and isn't heinously overpriced.

I'll defer to people on your side of the globe for questions about pricing as I know nothing about US prices other than they are insane.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

pulchripes are cheap...thats also the one you want...slings can be had for around $10....juvies 30-40 bucks....if you wait till temps warm you can utilze 2 day shipping...which is 1/2-1/3 the cost of overnight....overnight usually runs about $40.

Is this Maine or your town that limits species.....that could be the dumbest law ive ever heard of....like how are these 3 differrent than dozens and dozens of other NWs?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

$100 is WAY overpriced for a rosea. I've never seen one listed for more than $50. Rosies can have incredibly varying personalities (all Ts can, but the term "psycho rosie" exists for a reason) and are renowned for fasting. As a new owner, it might not be the best decision to get a T that might be more likely to be defensive than the other listed two. And if you overfeed (which as a new owner, you might be more inclinded to do), it would be worrisome if it went on an extended fast like this species is known for.

Pulchras are beautiful and I've only ever heard good things about their personalities, but they're by all means not cheap. Lately, the ones I've been seeing listed are in the $90+ range, even just for slings. If you're working with a budget, I wouldn't start with them.

That just leaves the pulchripes. This species was my first T and I absolutely love mine. They're relatively cheap, always available from what I've seen, a docile species, a decent enough grower (I could be wrong, but I think they're the fastest growing of the three listed), they get pretty good sized, and they're very pretty. So the G. pulchripes has my vote

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a link to this statute or ordinance?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. boina

boina Arachnodemon Arachnosupporter

Germany
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Moderator Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Chris LXXIX

Yeah but it's simple, people, one moment. Law or not law, one can decide to cough cough skip that and live a comfy life as well. I'm not suggesting this, I'm only talking about personal experience since I live in a nation that totally banned arachnids. Just sharing what I did.

Chris LXXIX kept those in pure 'clandestinity', but 'time', a gentleman, said that I was right... in fact, in today Italy, no one bother anymore about T's and, slowly, the hobby started again :angelic:

My POV is: who has the right to decide about what's best for your passions, something you genuinely love and btw, a 'something' that do not harm no one else? What if tomorrow become law something that goes against your ethic/moral etc? :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. VanessaS

VanessaS Arachnolord Active Member

I remember someone mentioning about a ban on the east coast a long time ago. Then, when the bans in Canada came up recently, and people were saying that it would never happen in the states, I tried to find the posts about the bans that you do have in place. I couldn't find them. I think I might have been searching on Maryland for some reason.
    The bans have been brought up before and they are state wide. Someone had posted saying that they do not have any expos in their state, with tarantula dealers attending, because they are banned.

11. Tia B

Tia B Arachnopigeon Arachnosupporter

Arizona
    That's just depressing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tia B

Tia B Arachnopigeon Arachnosupporter

Arizona
    They can take my 30+ specimens over my dead body.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnobaron Active Member

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Chris LXXIX

Maaaan there's always the old, wise, great, marvellous, amazing, of utmost logic etc <-- feel free to continue to add terms -- Italian old motto that say: 'Occhio non vede, cuore non duole' which means 'If eyes don't see, heart don't bleed' which means, in this case, that someone can live in Maine, purchase online all the T's he/she wants (from other American breeder/sellers, not 'brown boxing' uh) and 'pssht!' say nothing = no issues :troll:

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. thevez2

thevez2 Arachnosquire Old Timer

I have all three. Love them all.

All are good for beginners, but if I have to pick one, I always suggest G. puchripes for new keepers. They are really pretty, have cool leg striping, are super easy to keep and grow the fastest of the three. They are also the largest of the three. So overall just an impressive animal to have on display. Cheap and easy to find.

G. pulchra a big beautiful black spiders too, and probably the calmest overall of the three, but also more rare, and more costly to obtain.

These laws are dumb, and to open another can of worms, many G. rosea that you will see for sale in pet stores or some online stores are actually G. porteri, which per the letter of the law would technically be illegal. There has also been some recent discussion that what we currently think are G. pulchra may actually be a different species. If that ever came to be proven, then again, technically that would be an illegal species. I don't think the state is going to stay on top of the name changes and species ID to correct that either. This all is nothing you really need to worry about at this stage, but is something for others to consider in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  16. boina

boina Arachnodemon Arachnosupporter

Germany
    The same saying in German - and I'm talking about this very proper and law abiding German nation :pompous: - goes: 'Wer viel fragt kriegt viele Antworten' meaning: 'The one who asks a lot of questions gets a lot of answers'... or, translated less literal: 'Don't ask for permission, just do it.

• Love Love x 2
  17. Kiraral

Kiraral Arachnopeon

I'm in MA, and I paid like $20 per G. pulchripes sling.

If traveling is possible for you, there are reptile expos in Manchester, NH where you could likely get a better deal and have some fun. If you wanna talk specifics please feel free to pm me!

Had no idea Maine had such nonsense regulations about T's. I guess it's a good thing I moved before I got into them!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. TjlJean

TjlJean Arachnopeon

Maine
    I appreciate the feedback. Maine laws are a little... interesting. I mean, we have our own television show on animal planet which follows our game wardens who basically terrorize the exotic animal owners here :woot: I’m stuck here for a while, so I suppose I’ll just order myself a G. Pulchripe and maybe a aphonopelma chalcodes will slip into my cart :rolleyes:;)

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Swoop

Swoop Arachnosquire

Texas
    I'd bet money that 99% of sellers who send freebies have no idea Maine is so ridiculous.

In any case, of your 3 legal species G. pulchripes is a good compromise between interesting/affordable. A juvenile will probably cost the same as an adult female rosie and be much cheaper than the G. pulchra while still being a good eater and grower.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Chris LXXIX

Yeah, this is what piss me off to the Zenith level and, one of the reasons why, 'yours truly', is kinda 'allergic' to madness like that :)

Example: being a Theraphosidae enthusiast in Australia sucks, because, aside the native species ones (which are IMO absolutely ok) you can't have the whole rest. But at least the reasons behind are, IMO, reasonable: to introduce/import non native animals into what is a sort of 'safe haven' can, technically, alter the equilibrium if the animal is released on the wild. No matter how much this can sound laughable, thinking about a G.rosea wandering into the 'outback', but still.

On the other hand, this Maine T's-law or what is, is pure nonsense: so basically all T's are a 'no, no' but those three... yes? Muahahahaha, give me a break... would love to hear those kind of 'geniuses' explaining to me why an A.geniculata is banned but a G.pulchra is fine :hilarious:

I mean, dumb Italy banned in 2003 (for garbage reasons) every arachnid, including the house one, lol - so technically a man with his home full of those spiders living in the corner was a 'keeper'. Needless to say such crap and that 'witch hunt' ended and here there's a lot of new keepers, recently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1