Snake/Turtle

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey there every one, I used to a real active member on here but thennn i had to get rid of my scorp collection so i stopped, but now im back, im looking into getting either a snake or a turtle, i was looking for perspective from any of the people here on Which is a better pick, and or which is a good starter to have, Like which species is more low maintenance etc etc... Just looking for some info and opionon, thanks.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would go against any turtle for the fact that they usually require quite a large tank...lots of $$$. As far as a good starter snake...corns are cool. And lots of different colors

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, turtles are EXPENSIVE. Even little ones often need like 40 gallon tanks, plus the UVB light and the vitamin supplements and the *proper* diet (as opposed to idiots who feed them lettuce) and the extremely powerful filter you'd need...better to not own one than own one and give it poor care. :)

Get a snake. You'll need an aquarium, a sack of aspen shavings, a water bowl, two hides, and an undertank heating pad. Order frozen mice or rats in bulk and your pet will not only be healthier and less scarred, but you'll spend less money and won't have to care for prey before it's eaten or after it's refused.

Corn snakes are good starters, as are Kenyan/Egyptian sand boas and rubber boas (this last species can be housed in groups with no problems). Look in the "classroom snake" thread for other suggestions, as I'm not familiar with milksnakes and kingsnakes and whatnot myself.

Don't get a ball python. They're wonderful snakes and my first and only snake is a ball, but they're particularly sensitive to stress, humidity, and proper temps. If you do get one, they aren't *hard* to take care of but they will get sick fast and stay that way if you're careless or don't do your research.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, I have to say I did what others have said, though I might be a bit partial because I keep snakes and not turtles. But I'd say go with a snake. Corn snakes are great and come in an endless variety of colors. They can be a bit skittish and wiggly, but are only rarely defensive, and even then often calm down with regular and proper handling. I've also heard sand boas are really nice and even more docile than corns. I've only kept corns, but I'm looking to pick up a sand boa next month. So I think either of those would be good. You have my vote for snake!

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If youre looking for a cheap, easy pet, definitely go with a snake. I have kept both and aquatic turtles on average cost about $1500 in the first year- mostly for equipment. I spent about $1500 over the lifetime of a Burmese python, for upgrading cages. Best case scenario, start with the cage that will house your pet when it is full grown. Most local snakes can be housed for less than $100.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Best case scenario, start with the cage that will house your pet when it is full grown.
Keep in mind that too much space may be very stressful to the snake. Blood python/short tail python babies and ball python babies really do MUCH better in a smaller cage where they feel more secure.

bigo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i have a ball python and my roommate had a box turtle and let me tell that the turtle need more attention then my snake. for example he had to change the food at least twice a day once in the morning and in the late afternoon and sometime he forgets and the food get dried up and starts to smell. I only feed my snake about every two or three weeks. heating was the same. i have my snake in a custom wooden box while my roommate had his turtle in a high 30 gal tank but we would let the turtle lose in the apartment for excercise and the only good thing about that was the turtle will find and eat the crix that escape from me while i was feeding my tarantulas. if you have the time and money to spend then get a turtle but if not go with a snake, it does not have to be a python. good luck

Last edited:

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also realize that unlike inverts, turtles will live about as long as you. Large snakes like pythons are about the same. I suggest a snake native to your area for your first.

TheFireTigress

Arachnopeon
From experience, and because it's pretty widely agreed, corns are the best starter snake, if you handle them a couple times a week, and at least reach in and pet them every day, they will be very docile snakes. Kingsnakes are about the same, but are more likely to musk on you. Ball pythons are pretty calm to, but are prone bad eating habits and almost always have shedding problems because of particular humidity needs. My vote would be for corn snake, and there are more colors then you can shake a snake hook at, most of them under $50. Good luck!

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep in mind that too much space may be very stressful to the snake. Blood python/short tail python babies and ball python babies really do MUCH better in a smaller cage where they feel more secure.
You knew that snakes are naturally found outdoors with LOTS of space, right? ;)

Actually, I think I know what you're trying to say. Many snakes are uncomfortable in a large BARREN cage - if you keep them in a large cage they should have places to hide and a more complex floor than just flat open space. Most snakes are more secure if they don't feel completely exposed, and providing cover takes care of this.

I've always had better results with large cages. A few years ago I had a baby western diamondback that for some reason was not doing very well. Refused food, had difficulty shedding, etc., with no obvious cause to the problem. I moved it out to my greenhouse and set it up in a six-foot diameter cattle tank converted into a terrarium with rocks on the floor and bushes growing in the middle. After giving him a couple days to get used to the setup I tossed in a mouse. He went after it aggressively, and was an active snake and voracious feeder thereafter. Giving him plenty of room, a natural setting and some filtered sunlight were the best things I could have done for him.