Snake questions: Day vs Night time temps and enclosure question?

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm planning on getting a snake, probably a woma python. I've read people lower their enclosure temps at night. Is this important for snake husbandry? Also is there a simple way to do this with a timer? I'm not sure what products might be available that can help out with this.

Also I read you probably want a 5 ft enclosure for womas. However the ones at the pet store are 3-4 feet. Is there a good place any of you would recommend ordering a custom enclosure?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm planning on getting a snake, probably a woma python. I've read people lower their enclosure temps at night. Is this important for snake husbandry? Also is there a simple way to do this with a timer? I'm not sure what products might be available that can help out with this.

Also I read you probably want a 5 ft enclosure for womas. However the ones at the pet store are 3-4 feet. Is there a good place any of you would recommend ordering a custom enclosure?
You can get a day/night thermostat that gives you 2 temperatures instead of just 1 like a regular thermostat would give you. I've never bothered purposefully lowering temps at night.

Away from the heat source, if there's a proper thermal gradient there will be a drop at night regardless. That typed I've never kept a Woma nor know about their specific care.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is the thermostat built into the light or heat pad?

And yeah I figured if the snake regulates it's own temp it would just go where it needs to go. If I had a 5 ft tank I'd think the snake could do that pretty easily.

Womas don't sound delicate and I'm wanting something large that you can keep on the dry end. I have no idea how to regulate an enclosures humidity, and it sounds like a real pain in the ass tbh.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Is the thermostat built into the light or heat pad?

And yeah I figured if the snake regulates it's own temp it would just go where it needs to go. If I had a 5 ft tank I'd think the snake could do that pretty easily.

Womas don't sound delicate and I'm wanting something large that you can keep on the dry end. I have no idea how to regulate an enclosures humidity, and it sounds like a real pain in the ass tbh.
For the most part no. You plug your heat source into the thermostat. You put the thermostat's probe into the enclosure to achieve the desired temperature.

There are all in one boxes available that are made up of a ceramic bulb and thermostat but I found them terrible.

All heat bulbs HAVE to be guarded. So many snakes are killed or very badly burnt due to owners not bothering.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"For the most part no. You plug your heat source into the thermostat. You put the thermostat's probe into the enclosure to achieve the desired temperature."

Ah sorry they were easier to find than I thought. What one would you recommend?

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
"For the most part no. You plug your heat source into the thermostat. You put the thermostat's probe into the enclosure to achieve the desired temperature."

Ah sorry they were easier to find than I thought. What one would you recommend?
Just have a look what you have available over there and see what reviews they've got. That's your best bet.