Snail found in garden

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
HUsband snagged this snail for me in garden and texted a pic, will be rehoused tmr. Common as dirt in NorCal and treated as pests, will look up more about caring for it. Anyone kept these before? Lifespan in captivity? Thanks 52110513162__5C087B51-9BED-4410-AC9F-132FDEED8750.JPG

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Looks like Cornu aspersum, formerly Helix aspersa, an invasive snail originating in western Europe. They eat lots of different veggies, though I bet you'd want to have at least some greens. I don't really have a good estimate on lifespan, but I've read up to five years (although you don't really know how old that one is). It might be significantly longer in captivity.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Looks like Cornu aspersum, formerly Helix aspersa, an invasive snail originating in western Europe. They eat lots of different veggies, though I bet you'd want to have at least some greens. I don't really have a good estimate on lifespan, but I've read up to five years (although you don't really know how old that one is). It might be significantly longer in captivity.
I believe it is too. Hoping for a long lived specimen. Ill try my hand with this one

feelahthetigress

Arachnopeon
Hello, I've kept snails extensively (I got into them before I started on millipedes) and I still have a snail tank. I've even kept that particular species in the past. Mine lasted about 2 years before dying of old age (I had them from an adult age, though). If you have any care questions for me, just ask away!

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Hello, I've kept snails extensively (I got into them before I started on millipedes) and I still have a snail tank. I've even kept that particular species in the past. Mine lasted about 2 years before dying of old age (I had them from an adult age, though). If you have any care questions for me, just ask away!
Thanks for the reply! They appear to be doing well, one is named chomps. We just house them according to how we found them in terms of habitat, they seem happy. Is there a way to guess at the age of the specimen?

feelahthetigress

Arachnopeon
Hmm...I'm not sure how to guess the exact age. I'm glad it seems to be going well for you, just make sure you provide a calcium source for your snaily buddy. That's very important for long-term health.