Smeringus mesaensis info

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
whats their minimum and then recomended housing size? do they like to burrow. And finally, how big are the afults on average, minus tail and claws (I find it hard to picture their size you see)

Cheers
Dan

demolitionlover

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They stay pretty small. I give mine a 5 gallon and it seems to be plenty of room. A 2.5 gallon might be ok since they stay pretty small. Body size probably gets about 1 1/2' to 2' not including "tail and claws". Mine has never burrowed, I give him alot of hiding places though.
Hope this helped.
: )

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When my S.mesa. was younger, i kept him in a 10g to himself. though not very big, he was VERY fast... this way if i was digging around to remove and cricket bits or whatever, i'd be able to see a yellow blur and know i should be moving myself from its path.

As he's gotten older and now as an adult, he spends most of his time in a burrow, so i have divided his 10g tank in half, and setup a H.arizonensis next door to him.

Mine is closer to about 3" mesosomal length...

January 2005

February 2005

May 2005

demolitionlover

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow 3 inches!! I had no idea. I guess mine is a runt. He is so old and he is still so small and fat. I learn something new everyday. : )

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
ScorpDude said:
whats their minimum and then recomended housing size? do they like to burrow. And finally, how big are the afults on average, minus tail and claws (I find it hard to picture their size you see)

Cheers
Dan
mine's in one of the shallower KK's, i forget how many gallons but it's dimensions are: 13"L X 8"W X 6" tall (excluding lid). this is plenty big for mine which is about 3" long from tip to tip.

Mine will burrow if given the opportunity, i did moisten the sand one time, packed it down pretty hard, and let it completely dry (takes a LONG time). Came home the next day from work and it was nowhere to be found, just a small hole in the sand where it burrowed under. Mine has half a small clay pot it hides under now that it's on loose sand and seems content this way too.

Mine is not a big eater, maybe 6 crickets or so since november and i offer food once a week. I posted a thread about this a few weeks ago and a few others have noted the same thing, once they reach adulthood they don't eat much and hide quite a bit.

They are very very fast and quite defensive, mine doesn't back down from anything. Very pretty to look at but not that visible...mine isn't anyway.

Use the forum search engine, you'll turn up some good info on this species...top right corner of every page on the forum in small bold letters :)