smallest pedes I have ever seen.

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I have an isopod colony going strong for about 2 years now and I caught a few pedes outside that I thought were babies. They were only like half an inch long. well about three months later I have a bunch of baby pedes and they are the smallest things I have ever seen. Barely visable to the naked eye...like less than an 1/8" long. Just thought Id share this...I got a kick out of it

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds like stone centipedes. I kept these for a little while. Rather cute seeing them carry around a good size cricket to find a place to settle down for a meal.

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
picked them up out collecting isopods under logs and such. was hoping they would help keep the springtail population under control but no luck =/

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
here are a couple pics..took these with my phone. the 1 and 2 on ruler are CM and inches on other side.

believe it or not this wasn't the smallest one.. couldn't get a good pic of the babies

juvie

juvie and adult

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
definitely looks like Lithobius sp. stone centipede, very neat if you can catch a bunch of them and put them in one tank. Kinda cool watching a bunch of little predators attack a cricket.

axle37

Arachnosquire
i just caught one of those here in indiana(or similar) and its about that size. total beast when it eats

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just caught one of those here in indiana(or similar) and its about that size. total beast when it eats
yep they are fun to feed even if you only have one. I kept one that I caught and it was a complete monster when it came feeding time. but i think that goes for all centipedes :p

axle37

Arachnosquire
yep they are fun to feed even if you only have one. I kept one that I caught and it was a complete monster when it came feeding time. but i think that goes for all centipedes :p
true. i cant wait to get my s. subspinipes on the 15th! The "stone" centi that i got here in indiana was actually quite big for the area(i think) and he is just over an inch long. what is their life span? i assume they're seasonal since i never see any large ones.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
stone centipedes can actually take up to five years to mature. it's pretty crazy