Smallest Nhandu and Acanthoscurria species

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Not in the two genera you mentioned but you should look into an Eupalaestrus campestratus typically very docile and def a hobby favorite.

LailaQ

Arachnosquire
Not in the two genera you mentioned but you should look into an Eupalaestrus campestratus typically very docile and def a hobby favorite.
Oh, god! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to find one of those!! Right up there with the RCF rosea!! Maybe more so!! Why did the (understandable) importing/exporting shitfest have to happen in Chile?!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Acanthoscurria musculosa don't get that big (I think they max out at around 5").
Nhandu carapoensis and Nhandu coloratovillosus are the smallest of the genus but they're still average sized as tarantulas go

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
As already mentioned, you can find something a bit 'more' in the genera considered appropriate for beginners. Brachypelma boehmei, vagans, and verdezi are generally a bit feistier, as are Grammostola actaeon and iheringi. They are also all a bit faster growing than their cousins in the same genus. The Brachypelma are all going to stay about 6", but the two Grammostola get larger.
I agree that Neoholothele incei is a good next step, but they are very reclusive. You can try Thrixopelma - most of them stay around the 5" mark, or smaller. They can be a bit more skittish, but not really defensive. Also most Euathlus fill that criteria. Again smaller and not defensive, but great appetites and more skittish.

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
You can try Thrixopelma
Was about to say this ^^

It is really fine to remain with Brachys and Aphonopelmas if you feel more comfortable, but there are couple of other NW generas (some already mentioned in this thread) you could explore and try out with not much issues I believe, especially if you already have 36 Ts :)

LailaQ

Arachnosquire
@VanessaS and the other helpful peeps, thank you for your responses. I looked at and bought what I thought was an E campestratus, but after closer inspection at home, turns out to be a JM Grammostola pulchripes. Very nice and docile (no problems with rehousing).

I also DO have a Thrixopelma sp blue, and a Thrixopelma cajamarca, as well as a JF Homoeomma chilensis (and a couple of slings).

I just was thinking of adding something a bit more fiesty, like Acanthoscurria or Genticulata, but still smaller than a big honking devil spider.

However, this new boy will apparently get pretty large, so I’ll be sticking with him—but on the lookout for an E campestratus. Always on the lookout for that one! LOL.

Dannica

Arachnosquire
The most well known acanthoscurria is of course geniculata, but I believe it does get fairly sizable. Musculosa doesn’t get as large, as grym reaper pointed out, but finding anything larger than a sling is fairly difficult, and even slings are pricy compared to others. Great feeding response though, and they do have a bulkiness to them that makes them appear larger than they actually are.

su3cl3a8

Arachnopeon
I have (or almost had) the following Acanthoscurria and Nhandu species:

0.1 Acanthoscurria paulensis (ex. atrox), 6 inch
0.2 Acanthoscurria chacoana, 3.5 inch
0.1 Acanthoscurria sp. (ferina?), 2.7 inch (bought as a ferina but don’t think it’s a ferina)
0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata, 5 inch
0.1 Acanthoscurria musculosa, 5.5 inch
0.0.4 Acanthoscurria sp. Peru, 0.5 inch (may not even be an Acanthoscurria, idk )
0.1 Acanthoscurria natalensis, 6 inch (was dead on arrival, hence the almost hadXD)

0.0.1 Nhandu carapoensis, 0.75 inch
0.0.2 Nhandu tripepii, 2.7 inch
0.2 Nhandu coloratovillosus, 3 inch and 5.5 inch

Based on the specimens I have, they are generally good eaters, quick growers compared to Brachys, will kick hairs if constantly provoked, a bit skittish but not really defensive (have seen some threat postures but very occasionally). The largest of them I believe are the A genic and the N. tripeii, reaching above 7 inch easily.

IMO I think you will be fine if you can start with smaller slings to get use to their behaviors. I would def recommend A. geniculata since they are readily available and cheap, plus watching how they take down prey is very entertaining. They are killing machines!

Also, if you can find them, the below species IMO are some great alternatives, very underrated spiders.
Eupalaestrus campestratus
Thrixopelma cyaneolum
Lasiodorides polycuspulatus

I hope you find this helpful if you are still deciding whether or not you should branch out to these two genera. Sorry for my English as it is not my first language.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Acanthoscurria juruenicola and Acanthoscurria paulensis can be as big as A. geniculata. Smallest one I've seen was A. gomesiana

As for Nhandu, of all five species the smallest I've seen was N. cerradensis.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
You can always consider something from the Lasiodora genus.

L difficilis is considered the smallest one of it's genus & reasonably priced. L parahybana is even cheaper but probably gets much bigger.

From footage I've seen of Acanthoscurria species and Nhandu species, my Lasiodora seems to be slightly calmer but still has a dynamite feeding response.

Still, if you get a sling 1.5"-2" DLS, & grow with the spider you'll be extremely satisfied & probably end up with an excellent display spider.

Lasiodora, like the others, had many species to choose from. Be warned that L striatepes was considered the largest tarantula on Earth until T blondi was discovered. (Still 10000% awesome or course with zero extra care requirements aside from a bigger cage)