Smallest centipede species?

scoli

Arachnopeon
What's the smallest type of centipede you can find being sold in the invert community?

I've grown a sudden fondness for these guys but I find that with my bugs, the smaller they are the cuter and less intimidating I find them - not to mention cheaper to house! I figured a smaller species would be easier to rear on mealworms as well, which I prefer to handling crickets.

But it's been hard to find an accurate list of species kept in the hobby, and it seems most centipede keepers prefer the bigger species for how showy they are (I don't blame them!).

Any tips? :)

NYAN

Arachnoking
Lithobius species are some of the smallest in length. Scutigera species are another option, and you can probably find them in your home. Geophilomorphs are among the smallest in girth, but are somewhat long. Both of these species have been offered, but are not common because they aren’t very popular. You can probably find both though. I also think that only the lithobius and scutigera species will be able to eat the meal worms.

I would recommend a small scolopendra species as your first pede. Scolopendra viridis and the California polymorpha variants are good. You could also do hemiscolopendra marginata. These three species have weak venom, calmer disposition than any Asian pede and will offer you experience for larger species.

Last edited:

scoli

Arachnopeon
Lithobius species are some of the smallest in length. Scutigera species are another option, and you can probably find them in your home. Geophilomorphs are among the smallest in girth, but are somewhat long. Both of these species have been offered, but are not common because they aren’t very popular. You can probably find both though. I also think that only the lithobius and scutigera species will be able to eat the meal worms.

I would recommend a small scolopendra species as your first pede. Scolopendra viridis and the California polymorpha variants are good. You could also do hemiscolopendra marginata. These three species have weak venom, calmer disposition than any Asian pede and will offer you experience for larger species.
I like all of the ones you recomended, very cute. Any care sheets you'd recommend in particular or should I just look around?

NYAN

Arachnoking
I like all of the ones you recomended, very cute. Any care sheets you'd recommend in particular or should I just look around?
I don’t like care sheets. Care sheets are often inaccurate and narrow in their approach. I’ve not kept too many of the species I mentioned since they aren’t that interesting to me. I do have scolopendra viridis and polymorpha though. I have the Arizona variety of Viridis, so it may be different than the Florida one.

I keep my scolpendra viridis in a deli cup with 3 or so inches of sand and coco fiber for substrate. I also have a water dish and a piece of cork bark, but it has a burrow.

I keep scolopendra polymorpha in a similar setup, but I have a larger specimen in a larger container with some gravel on the top layer.

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
What's the smallest type of centipede you can find being sold in the invert community?

I've grown a sudden fondness for these guys but I find that with my bugs, the smaller they are the cuter and less intimidating I find them - not to mention cheaper to house! I figured a smaller species would be easier to rear on mealworms as well, which I prefer to handling crickets.

But it's been hard to find an accurate list of species kept in the hobby, and it seems most centipede keepers prefer the bigger species for how showy they are (I don't blame them!).

Any tips? :)
Google "Alipes Grandidieri". Not huge, I've heard 4inches at most. Personally, I find the feather terminals "cute". Mine is a pet hole, but most centipede are, especially the smallest ones. Mine doesn't even bury himself completely, he just kinda burrows under some corkbark. They're also ridiculously affordable for how cool they look (imo). Mine was $20 at an expo.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I'm pretty sure some species are so small they wouldn't make particularly enjoyable captives, but as for species that are small yet still big to take commonly cultured feeders and remain easily observable forceps centipedes are pretty cool.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
All the above names species are great recommendations. I will also add Scolopocryptops sexspinosis which is a personal favorite of mine as well as Theatops sp.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Anybody want to take a crack at explaining to me the difference between the Alipes sp Ghana and the Alipes multicosis? I have one of each in containers side by side, and they look identical to my untrained eye.

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
Anybody want to take a crack at explaining to me the difference between the Alipes sp Ghana and the Alipes multicosis? I have one of each in containers side by side, and they look identical to my untrained eye.
Hmm, they're probably the same. Pictures would help. Multicosis doesn't have the shield like back of the Grandidieri, so if they both look like multicosis then that's probably what they are. Ghana is just where they found it, but I'm pretty sure both Grandidieri and multicosis are from that area.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
I actually keep a colony of Lithobius forficatus. I have an old fish tank in which I placed alternating layers of cardboard and soil, with lots of extra soil. I chuck dinner remains in there, which mites and springtails feed on, and the centipedes feed on those. Or at least the young ones do, I suspect the larger ones cannibalise the young. I also chuck bits of liver, and uneaten pre kill crickets or roaches in there (and am hoping to establish a colony of small roach species in there too).

Though small, the centipedes are really cool, and because of the setup you often see one or two against the glass, and if you disturb the surface you find a dozen in a minute running in all directions.

You might not like this part, but I occasionally use them as feeders for other centipedes.

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
I actually keep a colony of Lithobius forficatus. I have an old fish tank in which I placed alternating layers of cardboard and soil, with lots of extra soil. I chuck dinner remains in there, which mites and springtails feed on, and the centipedes feed on those. Or at least the young ones do, I suspect the larger ones cannibalise the young. I also chuck bits of liver, and uneaten pre kill crickets or roaches in there (and am hoping to establish a colony of small roach species in there too).

Though small, the centipedes are really cool, and because of the setup you often see one or two against the glass, and if you disturb the surface you find a dozen in a minute running in all directions.

You might not like this part, but I occasionally use them as feeders for other centipedes.
I've heard of a similar set up for fire centipedes.

scoli

Arachnopeon
Thank you everyone for your great suggestions! I'll definitely be doing a lot of research. I don't plan to make a purchase until I've done a lot more educating myself, but this'll give me a good place to start.

Celestus

Arachnopeon
I am recommending Theatops and Scolopocryptops species over Lithobius and Scutigera because they are easier to take care of in my experience. They also look much nicer too in my opinion. Three inches is not too large, is it?