Small scorpion and book.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi guys,

I ran through the search but could not find what I need. I own 12 tarantulas and have thinking about going to the darkside :} . Here is what I think I want. I want a scorpion that will live in a heavy planted 10 gallon tank. Humdity 60-80%. It would be cool if I could keep more then one but the big thing is they must be rather small. I would like no more then 2-3 inchs max. Is there even such a scorpion? Running through the search only works if you know what you want. Maybe a obligated burrower? Second, thing and more importantly. A really great book is needed before I make a purhase. Can any one give me a clue about a title, author, or ISBN number. I have the tank, ceramic heater, and room.

I'm welling to cup and scoop the scorpion. I do not handle my tarantulas and will not handle these guys. They are to give a planted terraium an extra sting. I would use a pokie or pink toe but they web heavy.
TheDarkFinder

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here is a link to the review of the book I bought, Scorpions: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=261

It's written by Manny Rubio and published by barrons. I haven't gotten around to posting a review yet, although I read it quite a while back.

I can't answer your other question though.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Simple to care for, you would want either an Emperor (Pandinus) or an Asian Black (Heterometrus). Both would do well, but with definately 80% humidity or higher. They do both burrow. They do get rather large as far as scorpions go. They are communal as well, but you likely only want 2 in a 10gal setup.

Your other options could be C. Gracilis,C. Margaritus,C. Vittatus or possibly Babycurus Jacksoni. Both are more potent and are from the Buthid family, but if your experienced with T's, I'm sure they wouldnt be too hard on you. Careful they are reportedly quite fast. They are also generally arboreal, and tend to climb.

Gracilis is the largest about about 4" max
Margaritus (sp?) Vittatus and Jacksoni are all about 3" max, but some wont get that large (my vittatus are somewhere under the 3" mark)

http://www.visualadvance.com/invertcare/ is a good location to find basic care needs for these guys as well as finding others. These bark scorpions i listed tend to be rather skittish as well. They are communal and 10 gallons would be huge for them.

You would likely get more detailed information from keepers who have had more experience with each of these. I'm simply making a short list of what I think matches your tank. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will either add or refine my list.

Good luck

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you both. This gives me somewhere to start. Where can I find a good dealer, CB babies only.
TheDarkFinder

PS I own a Poecilotheria regalis. As fast as it gets, well not bite, but if she does hello hospital.

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
swiftsinverts.com

maybe i mispelled the address but its something like that.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
:( Aready looked only two species to choose from. (Pandinus imperator is commual, right.)-Never mind [edit]. How many could go into a 75 gallon tank planted?
TheDarkFinder

Last edited:

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
there are many other sites to choose from, I'm in Canada so I cant really tell you, goldenpheonix.com or something is another online place i've heard ppl talk about. Check the Dealer review section on here, there should be a longer list of places to choose from.

But generally when it comes to emps and Asian blacks, you want roughly one scorp per 5 gallons of space. The bark scorpions are alot more communal, i have 4 Vittatus in a 5gal hex right now, and I can fit several more.