1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sluggish H. Arizonensis?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Corevus, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Corevus

Corevus Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Ever since I got my H. Arizonensis 6 months ago, she's seemed a bit fat. She also doesn't seem to eat much at all. I think I've only ever seen food disappear from her enclosure about twice. I've assumed she's been in a really long pre molt? She went into a sort of hibernation over winter and a dug her up a few months ago. The past 2 weeks I've noticed she's been very sluggish. I set up a brand new enclosure with about 4-6 inches of play sand/excavator clay and reptibark for burrowing, and it has a false bottom for humidity gradient. I thought it might finally get her to molt. But I put her in there over the weekend, and she just crawled under some dried sphagum moss. Normally she digs quite a lot, and the substrate doesn't seem too tough. Could she just be so close to pre molt that she just wants to chill and be lazy? The pre molt thing seems to last forever, and I'm really hoping this is just the last phase.

Heat lamp keeps temps around 85. I mist about once per day on the wet side. Tiny little water lid.

It's hard to see from the picture, but it looks like there's some darkness between the back plates. Could be new exoskeleton forming?

Thanks for any help or opinions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnoknight Active Member

Could she be gravid?

3. Corevus

Corevus Arachnopeon

She probably isn't gravid, she's only about an inch and a half, maybe 2 inches long, so pretty young. Unless they can give birth before adulthood?

4. darkness975

darkness975 Brachypelma darknessi Arachnosupporter

Looks pre-molt.

That will make them sluggish.

Also, this is their diapause period. I have not seen any of mine since last November.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Corevus

Corevus Arachnopeon

Thanks! I guess that makes sense, it's still pretty cold out here in Minnesota, even though it's technically spring.

6. Corevus

Corevus Arachnopeon

Update! Rose is currently molting! I'm so excited =D I really hope the rest of the process goes smoothly.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Corevus

Corevus Arachnopeon

It looks like she's almost out, but it doesn't seem like she's moved in a few hours. I'm getting very worried.

Edit: ok, she pulled her legs out. She must have just needed a sort rest. Hopefully she'll be all done when I wake up tomorrow.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  8. darkness975

darkness975 Brachypelma darknessi Arachnosupporter

Hopefully all goes well. This species is not well known for molting very well in captivity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Corevus

Corevus Arachnopeon

When I woke up, she was completely out of her molt, and laying on her back twitching her legs. After getting home from work just now, she seems to be right side up again, resting on her old exo skeleton. I think it went well! Now to leave her alone for a week or 2. Here are some pictures of the process:

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wishorama

Wishorama Arachnopeon

Nice enclosure! What is the humidity range?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Corevus

Corevus Arachnopeon

About 30-60. I try to keep it a bit more humid around premolt.

12. Rik Cuddy

Rik Cuddy Arachnosquire

Earth
    Very true. My first was sub adult and didn't make it through it's first molt with me

• Agree Agree x 1