Slings

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
After researching how to care for slings,
I think I am sold on the idea of caring for them and have decided to buy a couple of slings:
Brachypelma vagans & Brachypelma albopilosum, bought a few small 12oz tubs and 16oz tubs. Going to feed them cut up meal worms (Once a month) and crickets with heads crushed (Weekly)

Is there any more good advice any of the more experienced keepers can give me?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Well, just be prepared for brachy slings to take an ETERNITY to grow, lol.

What sort of Ts do you have experience for? I mean if you want brachy slings then definitely get them but if you're just worried about getting a sling in your skill level, it's possible to go a small step up when slings are concerned. Because you aren't going to get a C. versicolor sling and end up with a C. versicolor adult before you're ready to deal with an adult, you know what I mean?

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Well, just be prepared for brachy slings to take an ETERNITY to grow, lol.

What sort of Ts do you have experience for? I mean if you want brachy slings then definitely get them but if you're just worried about getting a sling in your skill level, it's possible to go a small step up when slings are concerned. Because you aren't going to get a C. versicolor sling and end up with a C. versicolor adult before you're ready to deal with an adult, you know what I mean?
Only have had two T's both brachy's, I am well aware of them being slow growers (which I like the idea of)
I am going to stick with Bracy's as I am quite fond of them

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Only have had two T's both brachy's, I am well aware of them being slow growers (which I like the idea of)
I am going to stick with Bracy's as I am quite fond of them
Well that's fair enough, I was going to suggest an Acanthoscurria geniculata sling. They're awesome spiders, the second tarantula I ever got was a 2.5" gemale geniculata. Their feeding response is awesome to watch, they're always out on display, they look beautiful, and I never found mine to be very defensive. Definitely look into one of those when you want to move up a step.

As for tips, I wrote this a while back and it's how I personally keep them. I hope it helps you.

Terrestrial Sling Tips said:
Here is how I keep my terrestrial slings. The sphagnum is only mixed in at the top, and the bottom layer is all coir (coconut fiber). I have no hides for my Euathlus sp. “red” slings, as the sphagnum offers them places to hide and start burrows. I made my Brachypelma albiceps a small hide from a spray-bottle cap, with silk leaves and flowers hot-glued onto it.

I don’t offer water bowls just yet, and won’t until they hit .75" in size. Some people offer bottle caps at .5" and I may in the future, but for now with three slings to care for, it’s not difficult for me to add water every other day.

Anyway, holes on the lid aren’t needed. They can ruin the microclimate inside of the enclosure Sphagnum adds moisture that is easily maintained. Just drip water directly onto the moss every few days. It also gives them a decent place to hide and start burrows.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Well that's fair enough, I was going to suggest an Acanthoscurria geniculata sling. They're awesome spiders, the second tarantula I ever got was a 2.5" gemale geniculata. Their feeding response is awesome to watch, they're always out on display, they look beautiful, and I never found mine to be very defensive. Definitely look into one of those when you want to move up a step.

As for tips, I wrote this a while back and it's how I personally keep them. I hope it helps you.
Thank you, I may one day but for now I think 4 T's is enough (I also said that about 2 T's)
I decided on: Brachypelma vagans & Brachypelma boehmei (Which I guess is a step up) Thanks for the tips looks like a solid a set up.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
After researching how to care for slings,
I think I am sold on the idea of caring for them and have decided to buy a couple of slings:
Brachypelma vagans & Brachypelma albopilosum, bought a few small 12oz tubs and 16oz tubs. Going to feed them cut up meal worms (Once a month) and crickets with heads crushed (Weekly)

Is there any more good advice any of the more experienced keepers can give me?
Depending on the size of the slings, the enclosures you've referred to are a bit on the large side, if the slings are around the 1-2cm mark a 2oz-4oz tubs would be better, it makes food much easier to catch, you should feed your slings more often - like twice a week, until they get out of the fragile stage, then once they've molted a couple of times start offering larger prey but less often, I've got a few slings at the minute, and that's how I feed mine, depending on sp. some will grow much more quickly than others. If you're dead set on a Brachy - then B. hamorri is a great beginner T, great eating response, not too slow growth, and they have fantastic colours, as do B. boehmei in fact if it were me I would go for the boehmei - so different with their fiery legs. I've owned B. hamorri that's why I would go for the B. boehmei, just to have a different species. Having said this, there are hundreds of stunning beginner species. Good luck in your search and welcome to the hobby and Arachnoboards.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Depending on the size of the slings, the enclosures you've referred to are a bit on the large side, if the slings are around the 1-2cm mark a 2oz-4oz tubs would be better, it makes food much easier to catch, you should feed your slings more often - like twice a week, until they get out of the fragile stage, then once they've molted a couple of times start offering larger prey but less often, I've got a few slings at the minute, and that's how I feed mine, depending on sp. some will grow much more quickly than others. If you're dead set on a Brachy - then B. hamorri is a great beginner T, great eating response, not too slow growth, and they have fantastic colours, as do B. boehmei in fact if it were me I would go for the boehmei - so different with their fiery legs. I've owned B. hamorri that's why I would go for the B. boehmei, just to have a different species. Having said this, there are hundreds of stunning beginner species. Good luck in your search and welcome to the hobby and Arachnoboards.
Thank you for the advice, I have to be dead set as I have bought them, I couldn't find smaller tubs via the store I bought them from, I will however look for smaller ones and keep the bigger ones for when they grow.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Thank you for the advice, I have to be dead set as I have bought them, I couldn't find smaller tubs via the store I bought them from, I will however look for smaller ones and keep the bigger ones for when they grow.
Research your tarantulas on this forum pal, you'll get the relevant information required for sling care, great buys, both should be kept the same way, dry substrate, with a small water dish, I like to use upturned Lego pieces, they're great for small slings as they don't take up much space in the small enclosures, dampen one side of the enclosure, allow it to dry, them repeat on the opposite side, that's it you're good to go, apart from feeding, have you decided what you will be offering as prey? Depending on the size of the slings, pin head crickets a good starting point. If they're larger slings then offer larger crickets, the bigger the prey the less often you will need to feed, dependant on the size of the slings of course.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Research your tarantulas on this forum pal, you'll get the relevant information required for sling care, great buys, both should be kept the same way, dry substrate, with a small water dish, I like to use upturned Lego pieces, they're great for small slings as they don't take up much space in the small enclosures, dampen one side of the enclosure, allow it to dry, them repeat on the opposite side, that's it you're good to go, apart from feeding, have you decided what you will be offering as prey? Depending on the size of the slings, pin head crickets a good starting point. If they're larger slings then offer larger crickets, the bigger the prey the less often you will need to feed, dependant on the size of the slings of course.
Yup, I have a bit of reading to do before they arrive (tomorrow they arrive) been researching this for a while, the lego pieces is a great idea I am going to use that method for sure. Yes, I will be offering pin head crickets and the odd cut up meal worm once a month, by the way the slings are 1cm big, like you said in previous post they will need fed twice a week, until they molt a few times, much to my dismay I will need crush the crickets head before offering.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I will need crush the crickets head before offering.
No not necessary, not with pinheads, they will take them down alive without any problem, I wouldn't even attempt to crush a pin head crickets head, I wouldn't be able to see it, they'll be just fine with live pinheads. Good luck with the new arrivals, rehouse them in the bath tub, plug in of course, I've always used the tub and have never had an escapee, ever!

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
No not necessary, not with pinheads, they will take them down alive without any problem, I wouldn't even attempt to crush a pin head crickets head, I wouldn't be able to see it, they'll be just fine with live pinheads. Good luck with the new arrivals, rehouse them in the bath tub, plug in of course, I've always used the tub and have never had an escapee, ever!
Champion, what if the local pet shop doesn't have any pinheads would I be able to offer 3rds with their heads crushed as food? Yes, probably my biggest fear is the slings escaping. The tub is a fool proof way to rehouse them just can't forget to make sure I put the plug in first!

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Champion, what if the local pet shop doesn't have any pinheads would I be able to offer 3rds with their heads crushed as food? Yes, probably my biggest fear is the slings escaping. The tub is a fool proof way to rehouse them just can't forget to make sure I put the plug in first!
Yes you can offer bigger pre-killed prey, as long as they're not too big that they intimidate the sling, when you make holes in the tubs/enclosures make sure they are smaller than the carapace of the slings, I recently had one of my B. albopilosum slings escape through a hole that had a slight tear in it, just the one hole, and wouldn't you know it, that's the hole it escaped through, you'll be fine, as will your slings, post some pictures tomorrow after they've been housed, or when they're being housed, cheers pal.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
IMG_1567.JPG IMG_1557.JPG

These are my 1" b.vagan (left) and my Honduran Curly on the right.
My first brachys and I love them. Slowpoke Rodrigues and Fluffy by name. Had them a week now.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'd offer food more often than once a month, with slings. Two or three times a week or as much as they will take is more like it. Not sure why you want to offer once a month, but that is a feeding regime more suitable for an adult female G.rosea ;)

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
You should be feeding slings as much as they will eat, once a month is not not enough unless that's how much they choose to eat.

In the wild they'd eat much as possible so they can get out of the easy prey food stage.

And there's no such thing as over feeding slings, they'll only eat what they want and the rest they'll ignore or kill then leave it.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
You should be feeding slings as much as they will eat, once a month is not not enough unless that's how much they choose to eat.

In the wild they'd eat much as possible so they can get out of the easy prey food stage.
Sorry, I think you misunderstood me I will be feeding them 2-3 times a week but I will offer them a mealworm once a month just to vary the diet.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Look what arrived! Definitely got a pot too big for them keeping them in vials until they grow a bit, unbelievably small and fragile wasn't too difficult getting him inside the vial.
Two holes in the top hoping this is enough? Coco fibre substrate and going to mist the enclosure since doing half will be basically impossible.

Attachments