Slings in Premolt? Still feeding.

Ponkan

Arachnopeon
My slings look like they're in premolt but they are still feeding. Is this normal? Should I be worried? My slings' abdomens have grown dark, some shiny.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
If they're eating well, I highly doubt it's actually premolt... As unlikely as it is, though, I have heard stories of slings eating days before a molt. If you have pictures to share, that'd be helpful, as a more trained eye may be better at telling whether or not the slings are in premolt.

Arachnoclown

Arachnosquire
I've had a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and a psalmopoeus irminia slings both molt within 12 hours from feeding. If there eating it's all good in my book, keep feeding them.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I've had a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and a psalmopoeus irminia slings both molt within 12 hours from feeding. If there eating it's all good in my book, keep feeding them.
Case and point lol. It may not be very common, but it does happen.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I think they may need that little extra internal moisture sometimes to kick them in gear. IDK though...just a thought.
Possibly. Although if that's the case, I wish my B. hamorii would buck up and eat, it's been in super heavy premolt for about a week!

Arachnoclown

Arachnosquire
Possibly. Although if that's the case, I wish my B. hamorii would buck up and eat, it's been in super heavy premolt for about a week!
My B. Hamorii's have stayed in premolt for 8-9 months before. I have a girl right now that hasn't eaten in 80 days. They are definitely the T that teaches you patience.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
My slings look like they're in premolt but they are still feeding. Is this normal? (Yes!) Should I be worried? (No!) My slings' abdomens have grown dark, some shiny.
Slings will eat, within hours, prior to molting, it does happen.
Cases in point: S. hoffmanni, G. pulchra and P. cancerides all slings, A. ezendami (juvie) molted within 24 hours of feeding in the last 5 days. No rule of thumb, they molt when ready and eat when hungry.
When a sling hasn't eaten prey, I'll remove it and offer again in 2-3 days. I've never overfed a sling, doubtful anyone ever has.
Photo of my G. pulchra pre molt, notice the shiny spot, this way for 3 weeks before finally molting 3 days ago. FYI, it ate a lateralis the evening prior.
Who's fat!!.jpg

Ponkan

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much for the responses! I left pre-killed mealworms in their enclosure for a couple of hours and they are still feeding! Seems like they're still going strong. I'm in school atm, I will try to take a picture of my other 2 once I get home though because I highly doubt I can take a picture of my B. albopilosum since I haven't seen it out of its burrow for quite a while now.

Last edited:

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
If they're eating well, I highly doubt it's actually premolt... As unlikely as it is, though, I have heard stories of slings eating days before a molt. If you have pictures to share, that'd be helpful, as a more trained eye may be better at telling whether or not the slings are in premolt.
I've had the same experience with my pulchra sling, and it was in premolt.