Slings + crush adult cricket heads

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Ok I have 5 LP slings, 2 gbb slings and 8 P. Cancerides slings however the pet store only had adult crickets.

So I crushed the heads, now I'm just double checking, if they get hungry enough they'll scavenge and have their fill on the adult cricket bodies?

All species of Ts scavenge correct?

skippydude

Arachnobaron
When I don't have pin heads, I cut a roach or cricket up like a chicken and feed about 7 slings with it

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
When I don't have pin heads, I cut a roach or cricket up like a chicken and feed about 7 slings with it
so I just wasted about 14 crickets lol....oh well they'll be nice and full probably fill em up to the next molt lol

cold blood

Staff member
so I just wasted about 14 crickets lol....oh well they'll be nice and full probably fill em up to the next molt lol
At least they're cheap, its only about a bucks worth of crickets anyway. You can cut up superworms or mealworms as well and feed several.

trailblazin02

Arachnopeon
How big are the slings. My lps are such wimps and won't hardly take down a cricket. But my gbb an versis will nail anything that moves, doesn't matter what size it is hardly

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
How big are the slings. My lps are such wimps and won't hardly take down a cricket. But my gbb an versis will nail anything that moves, doesn't matter what size it is hardly
the GBB slings are about 2 molts bigger than the P. Cancerides abd the LPs.

I'll say the GBBs are maybe closer to an inch not big enough to take down an adult cricket though

trailblazin02

Arachnopeon
My gbb is about that size and will go after med size crickets. My lps are twice that size easily and are scared half the time. I have L. Difficilis also and they will snag anything they can catch. It's weird how picky they can be

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I have to do the same thing with small crickets for my slings. My LD sling is only 1/4" and not even remotely ready for live prey items. Sadly my LPS doesn't sell pinheads, so I will either grab the smallest cricket I can find and mush it into a ball or else I'll tear it in half if all the crickets I have are too big. The LD sling gets the head and thorax, the 3/4" brachypelma sling gets the abdomen and drumsticks. If I've given my LD sling something that's too big for it, it'll eat its fill and then drag the leftovers into its water dish. LOL...:giggle:

So yeah, the most you have to worry about is a few wasted crickets. You should let us know what your slings do with their leftovers. Some Ts can be very creative home decorators. :biggrin:

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Start breeding dubia roaches, 15 total T's should justify a colony. And if you're anything like me, it won't stop at 15 either, LOL.

But for now, I'd tear off the legs of the crickets and give them to the smaller T's. The bigger ones should be able to take down a cricket with no back legs to springboard around, unless they are also tiny, then yes, crush the head.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
One of my LPs actually got just the crickets head xD

But yah I can feed 8 slings with 1 and half crickets, B.vagans gets the remainder scraps.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Start breeding dubia roaches, 15 total T's should justify a colony. And if you're anything like me, it won't stop at 15 either, LOL.

But for now, I'd tear off the legs of the crickets and give them to the smaller T's. The bigger ones should be able to take down a cricket with no back legs to springboard around, unless they are also tiny, then yes, crush the head.
can't use dubia they bury themselves annoying to me lol....

Are orange heads any good?

skippydude

Arachnobaron
can't use dubia they bury themselves annoying to me lol....

Are orange heads any good?
Pinch that Dubia's head and he'll still kick, but won't remember how to dig :D

---------- Post added 06-26-2014 at 06:29 PM ----------

I like Red Racers for feeding slings, they breed crazy fast compared to Dubia and the Red Racer nymphs are comparable to cricket pin heads. Dubia nymphs are a bit large for feeding whole to small slings

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
are pin head crickets 3/16" or 1/4"?

which one of these sizes do pet stores usually sell as "pin heads"/baby crickets

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
A pinhead can sit comfortably on a pencil eraser with room to move even.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
A pinhead can sit comfortably on a pencil eraser with room to move even.
that sounds super small way too small for me so I'll get some the next size up so maybe the 1/16" crickets.

Slings can over power live crickets their size correct?

cold blood

Staff member
that sounds super small way too small for me so I'll get some the next size up so maybe the 1/16" crickets.

Slings can over power live crickets their size correct?
Yeah, pinheads are not really necessary, I just use the smallest ones the store has, its never been an issue.

Some slings can, others need pre-killed, depends on both the species and to a degree, the individual t's attitude. I have some that will tackle crickets their same size without hesitation...psalmos, P. nigricolor, A. ezendami....while others flee when the see a live one and need them pre-killed, and even then they are apprehensive...B. albiceps, tiny B. vagans, B. smithi (till it was 1.5").

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Ok all is well I checked on the P. Cancerides and all of them are either directly over the dead crickets or they are very close to them.

Thankfully they are probably investigating before they actually eat any of the crickets but now I do have a baby crickets just in case they don't touch the other ones