Sling unpacking

Racaryu

Arachnopeon
Hello Arachnophillics!

Today my first Tarantula arrived! I was so excited to see that lovely Yellow DHL box sitting at my front door.

And now my Grammostola auerostriata (cant spell) spiderling is here!
It came in a little clear plastic vial, with the spider and some cotton. But I don't know what to do next! Do I need a little critter keeper, or do I keep it in the vial? If I keep it in the vial, do I take out the cotton?

Thanks for the replies, and I will post pictures real soon!

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Depends on how big it is and how big the vial is. If you can get ahold of some 4 or 8 ounce deli cups (or something similar) that would be ideal. Cups of this size will give it something to grow into. If you can't get anything bigger than the vials they were shipped in then maybe look around at local restaurants and tell them you need a condiment cup or just run off with a few. Just make sure you get the lid. :) Or, try local stores like Wal-Mart, K-mart, or whatever big, all purpose stores you have for things like spice jars or salt/pepper shakers. Definitely get it of the cotton though. Cotton is a breeding ground for bacteria and mold.

Last edited:

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can also try doing a search..you should come up with alot of threads discussing this topic. :D

Renee

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
small container

i put all of my slings in those mason-jar-pepper-shakers. walmart has them for $0.50. all of my slings were 1/4 " - 3/4". with the smaller ones i added a piece of pantyhose/nylons between container and lid to keep them from escaping via holes.
dianne

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
but on that how to unpack ur bugs sticky its how to unpack bigger bugs. not slings. mines sling is in this cool little box thingy lol and the slings got lots of room to grow. but its a pink toe so. but dont put it in a critter keeper if it isnt bigger then like 1 1/2 at least. but good luck with the sling

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
If it's a Chaco, it'll outgrow the vial in no time. Also cotton had always been a big no-no. They like it on the drier side - just mist the sides once a week. Give yours a thin layer (1/2"?) of dry peat. No retreat needed. Have fun!