Sling stuck in molt

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
My sling was stuck in it's molt, and I did tried taking off the molt it was attached to. This is a half inch sling, maybe smaller, and it's been molting for 6 or so more hours. I was able to get out most of the molt. It's currently flipped on its back, it cannot flip itself back, but it can walk on its own! The last piece of the molt is its fangs. I've tried taking it out but it won't budge. Without its fangs will it die? Can this small sling survive a whole period without eating for its next molt. I'm not even sure if it can drink water. Do I keep trying to remove the molt on the fangs, even though it probably hurts him, I don't know if I have a choice. If I leave it covered around his mouth area, can he survive without his fangs? Please help

Attachments

jaycied

Arachnoknight
I hope the little guy makes it... with special attention he may pull through. They can survive without their fangs, but for now, get a cotton swab wet to try to moisten the old exuvia from around his mouthparts. If you can't, you will have to hope you can keep it alive long enough for it to get to its next molt by watering it and hand feeding mushed up bits of prey.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
A closer picture would be incredibly helpful. Did the rest of the molt come off? I specifically want to see the fang area. If there isn't much molt left there you could be doing more harm than good by trying to remove it.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
A closer picture would be incredibly helpful. Did the rest of the molt come off? I specifically want to see the fang area. If there isn't much molt left there you could be doing more harm than good by trying to remove it.
I added the picture of it, after most of the molt was removed.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Sorry, I only saw the first picture for whatever reason. I was on mobile. The picture is still too fuzzy and small for me to really see what's going on, but it does appear to be the old molt stuck. At this point if you haven't been able to remove it I'm assuming it's hardened too much for you to really do anything about it. You can just try to baby this spider and feed it prey 'soup', water it and hope it makes it through. I can't see how big the abdomen is. It is possible it could push itself through another molt if it's big enough, but I doubt it. Best of luck to you and your little guy.

cold blood

Staff member
You gotta get that molt off the fangs asap...sooner the better....its better to lose fangs and need to be babied through the next cycle than to die....dont temove that molt from the fangs and theres no hope.