Sling premolt

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I have a 1cm Brachypelma boehmei, that I suspect is premolt.
Is it unusual for a 1cm sling to be premolt for one month?

It won't eat, I know this doesn't mean it's 100% premolt. It did eat fine prior to the refusal which is why I think it's premolt., just in case I have been dropping cricket legs in it's enclosure every 3-4 days just to make sure.

I know Brachys are slow growers but I wouldn't think that a 1cm sling would be premolt for a month.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I've had very tiny slings in premolt for a month. I wouldn't call it common but I wouldn't call it an emergency either. I generally offer prekilled prey if I have a sling fasting for whatever reason. That way if the sling is premolt there isn't a cricket in the enclosure that could injure or kill it. As well I have had slings that are shy about eating live food, even ones that have previously eaten live.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I've had very tiny slings in premolt for a month. I wouldn't call it common but I wouldn't call it an emergency either. I generally offer prekilled prey if I have a sling fasting for whatever reason. That way if the sling is premolt there isn't a cricket in the enclosure that could injure or kill it. As well I have had slings that are shy about eating live food, even ones that have previously eaten live.
Yeah, this sling will not touch live prey at all, so I prekill adult crickets and chop them up for it. I will keep a close eye on it.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Yeah, this sling will not touch live prey at all, so I prekill adult crickets and chop them up for it. I will keep a close eye on it.
As long as it has access to water it should be fine. I offer mine food once a week and they either take it or not. I would probably start to wonder what's going on in another couple of weeks. You can actually see the sling right?

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
As long as it has access to water it should be fine. I offer mine food once a week and they either take it or not. I would probably start to wonder what's going on in another couple of weeks. You can actually see the sling right?
Yup I can see the sling, he's normally inside the hide but I often see him out and about

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I have a 1.5 inch G. pulchripes sling that fasted for 2 months at a 1/2 inch, and after that went another 1.5 months or so only eating twice. It molted twice during those 3.5 months. That's by all means not considered normal, but it just shows that things like that do happen, and it's not always a concern

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I have a 1.5 inch G. pulchripes sling that fasted for 2 months at a 1/2 inch, and after that went another 1.5 months or so only eating twice. It molted twice during those 3.5 months. That's by all means not considered normal, but it just shows that things like that do happen, and it's not always a concern
This puts my mind at ease...
As predicted he didn't take prey offered last night

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
This puts my mind at ease...
As predicted he didn't take prey offered last night
Sometimes it's premolt, sometimes it's just not hungry. It can be worrisome for us as their caretakers, but it shouldn't be an issue. I would just keep offering food every few days

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Sometimes it's premolt, sometimes it's just not hungry. It can be worrisome for us as their caretakers, but it shouldn't be an issue. I would just keep offering food every few days
I've been doing this for the past month, will continue to do this. He looks fine (I think)

Attachments

carterxwr

Arachnopeon
I've been doing this for the past month, will continue to do this. He looks fine (I think)
It does look fine. It's abdomen is rather plump so even if it isn't in pre molt it certainly isn't very hungry or malnourished in any way. Just keep that waterdish full!

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
It does look fine. It's abdomen is rather plump so even if it isn't in pre molt it certainly isn't very hungry or malnourished in any way. Just keep that waterdish full!
Don't worry I'm always super paranoid about the slings always make sure water is there for them

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Your T looks fine to me. Keep the substrate lightly moist and the water dish full.

Keep in mind if you're feeding pre-killed prey a small sling might not be able to eat the whole thing. I see little slings of mine eating and come back later to them plump and some leftovers sitting there. I let them eat what they want and then remove the rest.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Your T looks fine to me. Keep the substrate lightly moist and the water dish full.

Keep in mind if you're feeding pre-killed prey a small sling might not be able to eat the whole thing. I see little slings of mine eating and come back later to them plump and some leftovers sitting there. I let them eat what they want and then remove the rest.
Yeah, this T I've never seen eat the whole thing. But I know he hasn't touched any of the prey items I've offered lately.

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
I'm having the same issue with my B. Smithi 1/4 sling. It usually would take a cricket leg once a week and pretty much eat the whole thing. I'm about to be at 2 weeks now where I'm pretty sure he hasnt been eating the prekilled I have been offering. Kinda frustrating.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I'm having the same issue with my B. Smithi 1/4 sling. It usually would take a cricket leg once a week and pretty much eat the whole thing. I'm about to be at 2 weeks now where I'm pretty sure he hasnt been eating the prekilled I have been offering. Kinda frustrating.
My vagans sling was in pre molt for two weeks before it molted.

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
Ya and even if it were to go a little longer it would most likely be no big deal. All I can do is keep offering it food and keep the water dish full..

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I thought I'd revive this thread to give an update.

Absolutely no change, still refusing food and no molt.
I didn't think it would be much longer.

To give you an idea of how long it's been I bought two slings on the 24th of July:

Brachypelma Vagans
Brachypelma Boehmei
Both 1 cm, both started refusing food on the 27th of August.
Brachypelma Vagans molted on the 6th of September.
Brachypelma Vagans goes back into pre molt on the 2nd of October.

This has to be the longest pre molt ever or there is something wrong. Am I doing something wrong? I tried raising the temps in the room to trigger a molt.
For some background info this sling never refused food before suspect premolt, I am at a loss.