1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S'ling mortality rates redux.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Tim Benzedrine, Dec 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    I've have raised/am raising right at 100 slings since I started. I've had three that didn't make it due to shipping and I've lost two to care. Both of those care losses were my fault due to a forgotten AC vent behind my book case. So I'd put my sling care count at 98% survival and the over all (including shipping) at 95% survival. All of my tarantulas have been raise from slings except for 5 I bought as juvies/adults.

If care is done correctly, I've not found any that were hard to keep alive.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnosquire Active Member

Iowa
    Aw shucks, he caught me. I have no slings, just boxes full of dirt that I tell people slings are in.

:troll:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoknight Active Member

Oh my god, I originally was hoping this thread would stay on point as I thought this was a very interesting topic, but I LOVE all the directions this has turned. Both informative AND entertaining. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Arachnosupporter

Nothing I am involved in stays on point, as a rule. Usually I am the perpetrator, of course, but not this time! :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  6. Arachnophoric

Iowa
    I still blame you! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Tim Benzedrine

Your accusations are as baseless as the reputation of s'lings being a sucker's bet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Arachnophoric

Iowa
    But you started the thread, good sir. Therefore, it is your fault. :troll:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  9. Tim Benzedrine

That allegation has as much chance of standing up as a s'ling does under SingaporeB's care does. About a 95% chance against it, in other words. Your statement is in a death-curl! :D

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Arachnophoric

Iowa
    Alas, you doth not listen to reason! It seems you and Sir SB may have more in common than previously thought! :hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Tim Benzedrine

Well, possibly, apart from a penchant for s'lingicide. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. SingaporeB

SingaporeB Arachnopeon Active Member

NJ
    At 14:12 MariLynn feels Frankie Kato's pain...the pain of another unexplainable sling death.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  13. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    She has rocks in the first Ts water dish in the video so I'm questionable on her care right off the bat. If you jump to the 14:12 time mark and pause it you'll see the substrate for the tarantula that died is very dry looking and it has no water dish. So it likely died of dehydration due to bad care. Water dishes are important and keeping Ts on bone dry substrate is not good IME. Doesn't seem all that unexplained to me but far be it from me to get in the way of your conspiracy theories.

• Love x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Award x 1
  14. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoengineer Arachnosupporter

You know Trenor, I'm getting real sick of your "logic" and "reasoning" and "experience". You're part of the problem if you keep perpetuating the myth that most slings thrive in captivity.

I don't have time to argue, I need to go feed/water my hundred pumpkin patch slings :penguin:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Love Love x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince Active Member

@Arachnopets @AphonopelmaTX Is @SingaporeB allowed to just slap down constant disagrees to people stating personal experience? There is nothing to disagree with when someone says "I've gotten 19 Ts, 16 were slings, I've had 0 deaths" because there is no opinion there to even disagree with. If he's not a troll, then at the very least he's contributing nothing of value while dragging down the merit of other members with baseless disagrees.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  16. Nightshady

Nightshady Arachnosquire Active Member

She’s sounds like a total bumpkin. And yeah, that substrate looks like sawdust. I think a dehydration induced death is probably the reason as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. VanessaS

VanessaS Arachnobaron Active Member

Just in the first three minutes, which is all I was prepared to waste my time watching, - substrate is way too dry, enclosures are way too small, substrate is way too shallow with every single enclosure being a fall risk, and rocks in the water dish.
    That is a fail, fail, fail and fail. Videos like that are setting the worst possible example and you'll have to do WAY better than that to show real evidence of 'unexplainable' spiderling deaths - any of those tarantulas dying are easy explained by her piss poor husbandry. It was a good thing that many of the species she has are on the hardy, forgiving, side or all of them would be dead.
    There is nothing 'unexplained' about her loss.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Nothing he does can drag down my merit. I have a 100% success rate raising slings. He had 21 slings die in his care, according to him. Not much else to say.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. SingaporeB

SingaporeB Arachnopeon Active Member

NJ
    Of course you're blaming her! Slings don't just die, they're more bulletproof than Superman!

Here's more video evidence of slings kicking off for absolutely no reason:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoknight Active Member

Gonna go like everyone's posts to make up for any dislikes and disagrees and such.

PS. I apologize that many of you probably just got spammed with alerts :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    • Love Love x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.