1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sling molting when I opened the vial...

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by StormyMyth729, Mar 13, 2019.

1. StormyMyth729

StormyMyth729 Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Hey all, something interesting happened yesterday. My first tarantula shipment ever..opened up the second vial, pulled out the tissue and saw this. I figured I'd share since it's quite a site. The b.albiceps sling seems to be fine, we will see!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. jrh3

jrh3 Enigmatic Arachnoid Arachnosupporter

Wow you are lucky, lots of times molt in transit, doesnt end well. I lost a 4 inch LP that way.

• Sad Sad x 1
  3. StormyMyth729

Yes I am very lucky, and the poor little sling too! I hope he's ok, we will see. The seller knows and said they cover for a week. I'm just keeping an eye on it. For being a new sling keeper that was quite a trip!! I got a couple of 1.5" g.pulchras too, and I already had one at home so I wasn't exactly expecting bolts...I'm thankful I used a barrier haha one almost made it to the top of it. Spunky slings!

4. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking Active Member

Wow, thats very unusual. Glad the molt went well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

I have had slings molt during shipment... they all were fine :) Fingers crossed all is well!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnodemon Old Timer

Yes, you are lucky! But i am not surprised! slings have less problems with moulting! I have had slings moulting in transit and they where all fine! Lost a juvenile in transit moulting though!

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

My GBB moulted in transit, she was fine. I got a bit of a shock when the first thing I saw in the vial was a curled up exuvia however :hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnodemon Old Timer

Yes, one can be fooled!

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Grym Reaper

That was the first sling I ever ordered (along with a G. pulchripes sling) and I'd never seen one in person up until that point so I was relieved when I realised that my "DOA" was just an exuvia and the sling was just chilling behind it :hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. StormyMyth729

Thanks, guys!
    I've been checking every day and little sling seems to be doing fine, acting like a normal little spood :)

11. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnobaron Active Member

You might want a smaller enclosure. Because those vent holes look big enough for it to squeeze through and get out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. StormyMyth729

I did double check all of the vent holes. I used my smallest woodburning head to make them, they look bigger than they are and his abdomen is definitely bigger than all of them, but thank you.

13. The Grym Reaper

Abdomens are squishy, always make holes smaller than the spider's carapace because if the carapace fits then the whole spider fits.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

I will still tell you that enclosure is waaaaaaay too big...regardless of the ventilation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnobaron Active Member

One of my supposedly delicate Avicularia purpurea slings molted when it was shipped to me last spring. Still fine.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  16. StormyMyth729

Ok. I got two of these slings and they were alot smaller than they were listed, so I was not prepared for such tiny ones. I can order display cases for matchbox cars (they didn't have them in store) and they're 3 1/2" long x 1 1/4" x 1 5/8". Right now they're in baseball ones that are 3 1/8" x 3 1/8" x 3 1/4"

17. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

use a condiment cup...like a 2oz cup.

Albiceps are poor eaters and glacially slow growers....keep it simple for you and more importantly, the sling.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. StormyMyth729

Ok! I think that I can manage! (I get mantids shipped to me in these during the warmer months and I save the lids too!) Thank you!

• Beer Beer x 1
  19. Phia

Phia Arachnopeon Active Member

Texas
    Gotta molt when you gotta molt

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. StormyMyth729

Any time before or after that 18 hour trip would've been great though! Lol