Sling Molt Question

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think my G.pulchra is going to molt soon as it is slowly turning a little darker than usual. It is 1.5 inches now, and plenty fat. It has dug all of its substrate up and piled what was once 1.5 inches of level substrate into 2+ inches of very steep substrate, and at the bottom of the "hill" is the glass of the container that the spider stays on all the time. It is not very big, and i dont know why the spider likes glass. The substrate is peat moss. Im worried it will not be able to molt on the glass bottom of the jar and may not have enough room when it comes out.

Should i switch it into a jarwith level substrate while i still can?

Mark

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
My experience in this case is limited to two molts under conditions like that. My P. formosa and my C. fasciatum both molted in areas with less ceiling height than their cephalothorax. Somehow they both managed just fine though. I'd imagine moving it now could be worse for it than letting nature take it's course. Just my opinion.

Bill

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with bill.
I too have had T's molt in tight spots. But they always seem to pull it off, so to speak. LOL

Ernie

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bjorgly
I think my G.pulchra is going to molt soon as it is slowly turning a little darker than usual. It is 1.5 inches now, and plenty fat. It has dug all of its substrate up and piled what was once 1.5 inches of level substrate into 2+ inches of very steep substrate, and at the bottom of the "hill" is the glass of the container that the spider stays on all the time. It is not very big, and i dont know why the spider likes glass. The substrate is peat moss. Im worried it will not be able to molt on the glass bottom of the jar and may not have enough room when it comes out.

Should i switch it into a jarwith level substrate while i still can?

Mark
The last time my G. Pulchra sling molted, in mid-December, it had dug a burrow down to the bottom of its container. I don't know if they like "glass" as much as they often like to burrow down, and eventually reach the bottom. If you have no objection to its burrowing, a week after it molts, you may want to give your sling deeper substrate (4 or 5 inches) and a larger container.

Mine sealed up its burrow, and molted fine inside it. The spider does not have to be in a large flat area to molt. It has been said that they know to give themselves enough room. It is my impression that G. Pulchras are hardy molters. I think there is greater danger in disturbing your spider.