1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sling, juvenile, subadult, adult

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by WingedDefeat, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Advertisement
    Could anybody please explain to me what defines the classifications of sling, juvenile, subadult and adult? is it size? age? What's the cutoff between sling and juvenile, or are they interchangeable terms? Any help would be much appreciated. I'm a little confused.

2. David Burns

David Burns Arachnoprince Old Timer

They are loose/subjective terms. IMO a sling is a specimen that is between eggsac and Juvenile. A juvenile is when a T gets the coloring of its particular species. A subadult is not yet an adult and an adult is.

3. Washout

Washout Arachnolord Old Timer

Yep those are all subjective and not scientific. The scientific terms do not corralate to the subjective terms.

Scientific is egg, pre-embryo, nymph, pre-ultimate, ultimate, and post ultimate. I think :confused:.

4. mouse

mouse Arachnolord Old Timer

i call all of my T's/slings that are the size of house spiders "slings", well i have 2 that are about 1 1/2" and they look like my bigger curly so i guess i could call them juvies, but i only have one adult (mature).
    dianne

5. Mattyb

Mattyb Arachnoking Old Timer

I classify mine by size. unless it is mature then i classify mine as juv. or sub-adult.

-Mattyb

6. Michael Jacobi

Michael Jacobi RETIRED/RARELY USE AB Arachnosupporter

Actually, "scientific" would be: egg, postembryo, 1st instar, 2nd instar, 3rd instar, 4th instar, 5th instar... 10th instar... etc., penultimate, ultimate and postultimate.

The term "nymph" is used more in Europe, especially England, where some call postembryo "nymph-1" and 1st instar "nymph-2".

As others have mentioned, the terms spiderling, juvenile, subadult and adult are subjective hobby terms. My personal usage is spiderling for early instars without adult coloration, juveniles for later instars that have obvious adult coloration, subadult for larger spiders that are smaller than the species average adult size - if male, they may be penultimate - and adult for ultimate spiders [sexually mature].

Cheers, Michael

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  7. Scientific nonmenclature...

Right on Mike! I couldn't say that any better!
    Greg :)

8. Thanks, everybody. Now I know.