Sling growth rate

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Apologies beforehand if this question has been answered before but since I didn't find quite what I wanted in the search here goes.

How long would it take for a sling of B. albopilosum or G. rosea to reach respectable size?(say, two inches).

Funny that though I've been browsing here quite a while I have not yet jumped on a T even though it appears right now curlyhairs are coming out of everyones ears.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well it depends on how much they eat, like all living things, the more you eat, the faster and bigger you grow. Well thats the way i see it anyways :)

-Matty

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hehe. I'm looking for personal experience so I can get a general idea. Temps/feeding would be nice as well. From the looks of it it seems to be atleast 2 years.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
dtknow said:
Hehe. I'm looking for personal experience so I can get a general idea. Temps/feeding would be nice as well. From the looks of it it seems to be atleast 2 years.

Well i have 2 curly hair slings, i got them when they were .5" I've had them for about 4 or 5 months. I offer them a cricket about everyother day. They both are now 2" and in premolt. They are the first slings i have ever gotten. I keep them at room temp.

-Matty

fleshstain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i usually keep all my t's right around 80 degrees and feed them on the weekends....my lil curly's are eating about 3-4 small crickets a week....my rose hairs are another story....my mature male is only eating 1-2 large crickets a week....my female, who is probably pregnant, is eating about 7-8 large crickets a week....

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There is no single answer to this question. Too many variables such as temperature and diet affect the growth rate.

I have a dozen or so G. rosea slings that I hatched last December that are barely at the half inch mark now. My B. alpopilosum slings are growing a little faster, but not much. I tend to feed everything once a week and keep the temperatures in the lower 70s in the winter and upper 70s during the summer.

Waryur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
err ya my 2' A. geniculata will eat however many crickets i put in, it never stops eating. The most i ever gave it in one night was 7. My other T's will ignore a cricket after they are full. I just go by feel.

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what i do is: I power feed my slings until they reach a certain size like 1 inch. when they reach that size i stop powerfeeding and feed them only 1 or 2 crickets a week. :)

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
all t's have different grownth rates. i think curlyhair grows faster than g rosea. :)

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the input all! I guess eventually I'll run it by the folks and keep an eye out for some slings in the ads/links.

Is their any terrestrial species that grows relatively quickly? 2 inches in 4-5 months sounds pretty quick already though. I don't mind the young stage taking some time but would rather not be stuck admiring the critter through a magnifying glass for several years.

Last edited: