1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sling Food - Can I Feed thawed Frozen?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by PlagueDogtor, Dec 6, 2018.

1. PlagueDogtor

PlagueDogtor Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi All,

I recently got a G. pulchripes sling. It's about 0.5 inch. The petstores around where I live don't carry anything small enough to feed it live prey. I have some superworms I was planning on cutting up to feed it. My question is that once I cut them up, can I freeze the rest to feed to my little sling later once I thaw it to room temp?
    I'd rather waste as little of the worms as possible. My previous T (a B. smithi) was about 1.5 inches when I got her, so I did not have this problem.

2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Dice and feed fresh...if you don't want to be wasteful with regards to the worm, buy more slings.;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

You can feed f/t. I have frozen batches of roach nymphs to feed a few dozen tiny slings so I didn't have to worry about trying to crush heads one at a time.

4. darkness975

darkness975 the sun grows ever darker Arachnosupporter

It's better to feed fresh. Get meal worms (as opposed to super worms) and you can keep them in the fridge for extended periods of time without the need to feed or care for them.

5. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Frozen dinners for Ts, what's next.....lazy! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gaherp

Gaherp Arachnofarmer Old Timer

I raise dwarf isopods and fruit flies for the smallest slings. Both work great for me as a good starter and staple diet. Many like to use the diced method which works just fine. For me though since I breed a TON of dwarf species of T's using the smaller insects seem to work better for me. Plus you can seed the little portion cups or whatever else you have your sling in giving multiple prey items for them to predate on at their leisure. Some folks believe these insects do not provide enough for them, but I have never ran into these supposed issues. In fact I see very fast growth in the slings I raise on flies and isopods alone. Maybe it is the volume they are feeding them or maybe even low quality media they are using for the feeder. What ever the case I will always use these feeders since it works so well for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Teal

In the past, I raised small slings on fruit flies and never had trouble - with the slings. The flies themselves, on the other hand, are a royal pain in the you-know-what :hilarious:

There was a thread recently about using isopods as feeders. I discovered one of my Ts had a taste for her clean up crew, and it inspired me to feed some of my tiny slings dwarf whites!

8. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoangel Active Member

USA
    @Teal Do you just put the roaches in while frozen or do you let them thaw first?

9. Teal

Either way... I'll take them out of the freezer and either start putting them out, or if I have other Ts to still feed first they might get done a little later.

10. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoangel Active Member

USA
    Thanks. i think i might try this as my red runners tend to quickly outgrow my tiny slings a

• Like Like x 1