Sling Escaped

spidergirlasf

Arachnopeon
So, I accidentally left the lid off my slings cup last night, and he escaped. I wasn't too worried, because the cups are inside a terrarium, but I searched the whole thing top to bottom with no luck. I don't know what to do! He's small enough that my family would mistake him for a spider and squish him(he's about .5")! I'm really freaked out. Also, the terrarium is up on a desk, so if he got out he would likely fall to his death on the floor, unless carpet is enough padding?

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At .5” the odds of finding it are low, but not impossible. What species is it?

Wait until it’s dark and then come to the room with a flashlight to search, there’ll be a higher chance it is out and about for you to find.

Mpmackenna

ArachnoNerd
I lost a sling once a long time ago. I found it like two days later. I almost stepped on it. Keep your eyes open. Mine was in the same room where it escaped. That T eventually lived to be 19. Mine was a B. Hamorii/Smithi sling I bought from PetCenterUSA. It was the first T I ever owned.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
At .5” the odds of finding it are low, but not impossible. What species is it?

Wait until it’s dark and then come to the room with a flashlight to search, there’ll be a higher chance it is out and about for you to find.
To add to this, use a flashlight with a red filter. This might help too.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is great advice.

Yeah N. incei is probably not going to go climbing up to high places so keep looking near the enclosure and table it’s on top of, the ground too.

Don’t give up, I’ve had three sling escapes over my time in the hobby and I found all three of them. I had a C shmidti escaped that I found nearly immediately, a C versi that took a couple of hours to find and a Chilobrachys sp blue that turned up after 3-4 days.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
He's an N. incei.
Your in luck, N. incei may be harder to spot since they're small. But they web and settle faster than most other T.'s. If you see any small cracks/spaces with webs, I would search there first. Now if we're talking generic slings, they would be much harder to find since they leave so little evidence behind to notice them.

spidergirlasf

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much! I haven't found him yet, but I'm continuing to search. I really hope I do!

Why a red filter?

Also, how far should I expect him to have traveled away from the container at this point?

Last edited by a moderator:

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
T’s can not see light in the red spectrum. So to them it would appear to still be dark.

spidergirlasf

Arachnopeon
I found him! I'm super excited and very relieved. He was on the other side of the house! I was so surprised. Thank you all for the help. I'll definitely keep it in mind for next time!

Ahhtaczy

Arachnopeon
I remember when I tipped over my .15" acanthoscurria geniculata slings enclosure on accident while trying to hookup lighting for another enclosure. I looked everywhere and I couldn't find the sling anywhere. I gave up and was really bummed out for about an hour, when I found the sling climbing up the wall. My wall was textured, so it was easy to climb and I quickly got him into an enclosure again.

Here is the sling molting.

Attachments

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found him! I'm super excited and very relieved. He was on the other side of the house! I was so surprised. Thank you all for the help. I'll definitely keep it in mind for next time!
Congratulations! Sounds like he covered a lot of ground, an adventurous one!

Really happy for you =)

spidergirlasf

Arachnopeon
I remember when I tipped over my .15" acanthoscurria geniculata slings enclosure on accident while trying to hookup lighting for another enclosure. I looked everywhere and I couldn't find the sling anywhere. I gave up and was really bummed out for about an hour, when I found the sling climbing up the wall. My wall was textured, so it was easy to climb and I quickly got him into an enclosure again.
That's a really neat lookin' spider! I'm surprised you found him so fast.

20190517_131500.jpg 20190517_131556.jpg 20190517_131605.jpg 20190517_131500.jpg 20190517_131556.jpg 20190517_131605.jpg 20190517_131500.jpg 20190517_131556.jpg 20190517_131605.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: