Sling Enclosure

Autumist

Arachnopeon
I know this was asked a thousand times, but other questions/answers doesnt satisfy my questions.

So I have this around 1"dls B.Hamorii. I placed him in a 7x4 enclo, (pretty huge for a sling IK). Will he (I'll just address it "he") be ok? I have a starter burrow for him, which he gladly uses, on his previous enclo, he is digging up the substate and made his own burrow, but days after that, he seems to be spending more time out of the burrow, and sometimes I can see ants climbing outside of his old enclo, so I decided to make a new one then place it in a island setup. I discarded the sub in the old enclo, btw the old enclo is around 3-4 inches in diameter, its a round one. Here is a pic of the new enclo

The new enclosure's size is just an estimate, maybe its bigger than Ive said.

Old enclo:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Seems to be unesessary large enclosure for that size sling! What was it that you wanted help with again?

Autumist

Arachnopeon
Seems to be unesessary large enclosure for that size sling! What was it that you wanted help with again?
Will he do good in this enclo? Or should I find a delicup like other regular sling enclos? Thank you

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I can see ants climbing outside of his old enclo
Just take care if you have a lot of ants around, my C. versicolor was eaten by ants as a sling. (Got a new one now):(

Also the enclosure is big but there is no reason that he wouldn't thrive. Maybe just pre-kill for now. (Although i don't personally like pre-killing)
He shouldn't have too much problems locating live prey though.

Or should I find a delicup like other regular sling enclos
Sometimes the urge to have a nice big enclosure dominates the needs of the spider. He would be perfectly happy in a delicup and it would be a lot more convenient for you.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.

Autumist

Arachnopeon
At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.
So I can use that large enclo? I don't want to stress him right now as he's in premolt, maybe switch him back to a delicup, if those cups are better after he molts.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
So I can use that large enclo
You can use it yes. If you are looking for my personal opinion it would be this. I would not use such a large enclosure, i would probably use a delicup for another 1-2 molts and even then i would only rehouse him if it is absolutely necessary. In the wild it wouldn't get stressed out by the size of the world so i doubt he would get stressed by the size of your enclosure.

Also it is worth mentioning that a B.Hamorii is super sturdy and it would really take a LOT to kill it if you are really trying to keep it going

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Slings snd juveniles should be housed in snall containers. A delicup 2-3 times the legspan is fitting! Try 3 inch in diameter for that sized sling! It looks fairly small!? I promise you, better to small than to large enclosures, and upgrade when it moults if needed!

Autumist

Arachnopeon
You can use it yes. If you are looking for my personal opinion it would be this. I would not use such a large enclosure, i would probably use a delicup for another 1-2 molts and even then i would only rehouse him if it is absolutely necessary. In the wild it wouldn't get stressed out by the size of the world so i doubt he would get stressed by the size of your enclosure.

Also it is worth mentioning that a B.Hamorii is super sturdy and it would really take a LOT to kill it if you are really trying to keep it going
Okay okay, thanks for the tips, I'll try to find some delicups later as its 12:40am here (0040) XD. Thank you again for the info and happy keeping :^))

Slings snd juveniles should be housed in snall containers. A delicup 2-3 times the legspan is fitting! Try 3 inch in diameter for that sized sling! It looks fairly small!? I promise you, better to small than to large enclosures, and upgrade when it moults if needed!
Will this do good? Cant find a smaller cup.

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Will this do good? Cant find a smaller cup.
Great size!
But - and I'd have never thought to say this - I'd actually remove a bit of the substrate, it's really quite high and there's basically no barrier to prevent your sling from wandering out when you open the lid. ;)

Also, I'd add a water dish (something like a Monopoly house or tattoo ink cup would be small enough) and - but that's just me - a fake leaf or such as a hide. :)

Autumist

Arachnopeon
He just molted a while ago... a few hours after I've transferred him. Pretty successful nonetheless. Thanks for all your suggestions.