Sling enclosure ventilation

RonC

Arachnopeon
Purchased a 1+ inch spiderling (G. Pulchripes) and am working on building an enclosure for it. I will be drilling the holes instead of melting them in an AMAC box. My question is how small of a hole can a 1 inch spiderling fit through? or should I make the holes larger and temporarily cover them with a strip of pantyhose till it grows? How many holes/rows should I make in the sides? I did order an enclosure but after reading some posts not sure I like the screen vent in the top and lack of cross ventilation. Thanks

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
don't make em any bigger than the abdomen or carapace and the rows are all preference, i'd do about 2 rows of either 4 or 5 if i were u

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Holes should not be bigger than the carapace as stated above.

By the way, how big is the enclosure that you will use? It would be preferable to use a small container and change it as the sling grows. Too big of an enclosure will promote more burrowing and hiding of the sling.

Aleetist

Arachnosquire
Purchased a 1+ inch spiderling (G. Pulchripes) and am working on building an enclosure for it. I will be drilling the holes instead of melting them in an AMAC box. My question is how small of a hole can a 1 inch spiderling fit through? or should I make the holes larger and temporarily cover them with a strip of pantyhose till it grows? How many holes/rows should I make in the sides? I did order an enclosure but after reading some posts not sure I like the screen vent in the top and lack of cross ventilation. Thanks
Hey, I use Amac boxes too! I accidentally made too big of holes once and covering them up with tape and poking holes with a pin in the tape worked well, so if you make a mistake don't sweat it! That being said, since that time I have gone with make clusters of tiny holes instead of a few larger holes. Slightly more work but better results and no ugly tape on my nice Amac boxes.

RonC

Arachnopeon
It's a 4 inch square by 5 inch tall. Going to fill half way with substrate so a fall won't be far. Wish spidey was here so I could actually see how big the carapace is. Drilled eleven holes each side in three rows, 3/32" diameter (toothpick won't slide through). Debating on drilling the top also.

Attachments

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I am going to test, a screen on top and holes on the side once I rehouse my new additions. I have kind of wanted to try side screens but I think it would only be worth it for arboreals(because more volume), but I only have one arboreal. A lot of beginners just put their Ts in reptile enclosures, which only have top ventilation. side vents help to prevent mold, but a lot of people use springtails anyways.

Aleetist

Arachnosquire
It's a 4 inch square by 5 inch tall. Going to fill half way with substrate so a fall won't be far. Wish spidey was here so I could actually see how big the carapace is. Drilled eleven holes each side in three rows, 3/32" diameter (toothpick won't slide through). Debating on drilling the top also.
I think the enclosure looks just fine as it is with plenty of ventilation, top holes would be overkill I think and might dry out the substrate too quickly. Some slight bad news though. Knowing how big the enclosure is now, I think it may be a little too big for a 1in sling. Your new little pet should be in something about half that size. It will promote better molting responses. I started off with a 3/4-1in sling in a same size box and it promptly went into pre-molt and hid itself and refused food for over six weeks (not uncommon and not necessarily bad, but something that can be avoided) After she molted and was hard enough, I took the advice of others on here and moved her into something smaller and time between refusing food and molting was reduced significantly and she has gone through a couple molts since much more smoothly and soon I will be moving her to something the size of what you linked. But again, it looks like it will be a great home in a couple of molts when she is ready for it :)

P.S. The sling of mine is a G. Pulchra, another slow growing species like to your G. Pulchripes and their care is pretty similar.

I am going to test, a screen on top and holes on the side once I rehouse my new additions. I have kind of wanted to try side screens but I think it would only be worth it for arboreals(because more volume), but I only have one arboreal. A lot of beginners just put their Ts in reptile enclosures, which only have top ventilation. side vents help to prevent mold, but a lot of people use springtails anyways.
Isn't avoiding mesh normally advised since Ts can get their feet caught in them and lose a leg or worse? That also seems like a bit of overkill for ventilation. I don't have any problems with mold, I do use spring tails in most enclosures as a precaution, but even the enclosures that I don't have them in don't have that issue. I just use water dishes and let substrate dry out between mistings and rotate corners that I mist.

Last edited:

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
You can use a deli cup until your sling is big enough to transfer to your intended enclosure. Also, G. pulchripes grow a bit slow so just be patient. :D

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That enclosure is just fine for a 1" sling :) The amount of ventilation is perfect!

I personally LOATHE deli cups and hate that they are recommended so much.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
You can use a deli cup until your sling is big enough to transfer to your intended enclosure. Also, G. pulchripes grow a bit slow so just be patient. :D
x2
I keep my most of my slings in deli cups (unless they’re under 1”) like this:
15DFBD11-C4F2-4ECA-99EA-0234E70D82F8.jpeg

Why is that? Just curious (not attacking in any way!)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Why is that? Just curious (not attacking in any way!)
No worries! I don't mind explaining :)

I think maybe I am just tired of them after all these years? I really don't find them as convenient as people claim, either... the lids! Those darn lids. Lol

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
I guess its because deli cups are more readily available and cheap, but you can use any other lids available to you. :)

RonC

Arachnopeon
The breeder listed the spider at one to one and a half inches and this was the size enclosure they recommended. Hope it's not too big but won't have to rehouse for a while if not. I can also see how a small creature raised in a very small enclosure might be overwhelmed being in a much larger enclosure. If my vent holes are too big I will have the other enclosure I ordered with the screen till she grows a bit. I have a small piece of acrylic I can cut a piece from and drill to cover the screen if necessary. I'll know more when she gets here.
Only having the one to house I went for the more expensive option this time. I did consider the deli cups. If you have multiple specimens I can see where the deli cups might be a better option.
The screen vents raise some concern for me although many people use them with no problem. Had a mouse get it's claw stuck in screen before. Caught her hanging there and pushed her claws back through so no harm was done.
I do appreciate the input. Waiting is nerve wrecking.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Isn't avoiding mesh normally advised since Ts can get their feet caught in them and lose a leg or worse? That also seems like a bit of overkill for ventilation. I don't have any problems with mold, I do use spring tails in most enclosures as a precaution, but even the enclosures that I don't have them in don't have that issue. I just use water dishes and let substrate dry out between mistings and rotate corners that I mist.
yeah thats true. I've never used it for a arboreal anyways, I put in on the lids for my terrestrials, they never go up so odds of them getting caught is less. Im always worried about mold though, and dont trust springtails cause i've never tried it before.

Aleetist

Arachnosquire
That enclosure is just fine for a 1" sling :) The amount of ventilation is perfect!

Ugh, I dislike deli cups as well, I just use various craft containers or Amac boxes for my slings (freaking greatest thing ever for display until adult enclosure imo) I just very poor premolt response in a container that size and moving it to something smaller
yeah thats true. I've never used it for a arboreal anyways, I put in on the lids for my terrestrials, they never go up so odds of them getting caught is less. Im always worried about mold though, and dont trust springtails cause i've never tried it before.
Spring tails are fantastic, I would certainly recommend trying them out, especially over using screens. I use them in all of my arboreal enclosures and it's been great. They don't bug the Ts and the Ts have no interest in them and they get anything I miss, mold was never much of an issue for me and now it's even less. I've also started keeping dwarf isopods and using them as well. And, keeping springtail cultures is soooo easy. Shoot me a PM if you are interested, I don't want to derail this thread.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ugh, I dislike deli cups as well, I just use various craft containers or Amac boxes for my slings (freaking greatest thing ever for display until adult enclosure imo) I just very poor premolt response in a container that size and moving it to something smaller
I adore AMAC boxes! I need to do a bulk order of them before this sac hatches so I don't have to deal with 2oz condiment cups again.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Such hate for the innocent deli cup, a useful tool for T husbandry and other things.

Those darn lids.
What's wrong w/the lids?

I adore AMAC boxes!
I do as well, but the cost difference is immense. I have plenty of AMAC boxes, I've been using them for many years, before they were popular.

AMAC boxes aren't perfect either. With AMAC boxes you have to open up more of the container than you need, with lids you can open a SMALL portion if needed, right @cold blood Useful for fast species etc.

And AMACs are not stackable!

If RUBs were perfectly clear, they would be the best container out there, right @EulersK

don't make em any bigger than the abdomen or carapace and the rows are all preference, i'd do about 2 rows of either 4 or 5 if i were u

Not true--- Holes should be smaller than carapace.

However, if hole is smaller than abdomen alone, that does not mean a T cannot escape.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
Not true--- Holes should be smaller than carapace.

However, if hole is smaller than abdomen alone, that does not mean a T cannot escape.
which is one of the things i said lol and anyways bro this thing is from wednesday multiple ppl have helped jus let it go i have no interest in going back and forth

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Such hate for the innocent deli cup, a useful tool for T husbandry and other things.

What's wrong w/the lids?

I do as well, but the cost difference is immense. I have plenty of AMAC boxes, I've been using them for many years, before they were popular.

AMAC boxes aren't perfect either. With AMAC boxes you have to open up more of the container than you need, with lids you can open a SMALL portion if needed, right @cold blood Useful for fast species etc.

And AMACs are not stackable!

If RUBs were perfectly clear, they would be the best container out there, right @EulersK
I don't know when AMAC became "popular," but I was introduced to The Container Store 12 years ago and it filled an empty space in my life I wasn't aware existed :p

With AMAC boxes, I put a big hole in for a cork to allow feeding/watering access if the spider is a difficult one. And the boxes are perfectly stackable!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
which is one of the things i said lol and anyways bro this thing is from wednesday multiple ppl have helped jus let it go i have no interest in going back and forth
The information you provided is inaccurate, thus I was correcting it. There's nothing better than accurate information.

There is no time limit for a response, if you have a problem w/that, take it up with the mods. Some people respond to threads that are YEARS old, and sometimes with good information. :rolleyes:

I'm not your bro.

12 years ago and it filled an empty space in my life I wasn't aware existed
This is hilarious!!!! You always crack me up.

And the boxes are perfectly stackable!
Let me rephrase, I wasn't specific enough. They aren't perfect for stacking because there is no raised lip etc that prevents a box from tipping over, unlike with RUBs or ExoTerra Breeder Boxes, or DELI CUPS. ;) AMACs fail in that area.

I put a big hole in for a cork to allow feeding/watering access if the spider is a difficult one
I couldn't do that, the aesthetics of that method is unacceptable for me.

Last edited by a moderator: