Sling Enclosure Critique (A. geniculata & B. albopilosum)

TXN

Arachnopeon
As long as everything goes according to plan, I'm expecting my first two tarantulas/slings! I've ordered a 2" female A. geniculata (is this size still considered a sling, or juvenile?) and a 1/4" B. albopilosum. Just waiting to hear back from the seller about shipping.

I've created their enclosures following Tom's Big Spiders Sling Guide. However, because these are my first two, I would love any input on whether I've done these are okay, if they are the correct size, and if I need to change something.

Substrate is coconut coir, each has a small cap for water, some sphagnum moss for humidity, and a cork bark hide (with a little room under them to encourage the T to make its home there).

I plan on feeding 1/4" dubia, although I'm guessing I'll have to pre-kill them for the smaller sling.

Smaller enclosure is a 5.5 oz cup, larger is 8"x5.5". Here they are.
tenclosure2.jpg tenclosure1.jpg

starnaito

Arachnosquire
I think they look great! You'll find the A. genic likes a bit more moisture in addition to the water dish - wetting down some of the moss/substrate occasionally will help with this.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Looks good, I would bury the cork bark in the genic enclosure some more though. Ts prefer very tight enclosed hides, although genics are unlikely to hide at all...mine never did anyway.

My only concern is the deli cup setup, it will definitely be on the large side for a 1/4'' sling, you'll see just how small that is when it arrives.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
Also, I consider Ts to be juveniles once they adopt their adult colors, which is usually around 2 inches for non-dwarf Ts, and it's generally a size when it becomes easier to sex them. But there isn't really an official size that determines when they become juveniles.

TXN

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone!

Looks good, I would bury the cork bark in the genic enclosure some more though. Ts prefer very tight enclosed hides, although genics are unlikely to hide at all...mine never did anyway.

My only concern is the deli cup setup, it will definitely be on the large side for a 1/4'' sling, you'll see just how small that is when it arrives.
That was my biggest concern. I honestly have never seen a 1/4" sling so I'm not sure I get a grasp on how small that is! When I was shopping around, I found a few vials but was worried they were too small.

And thanks for the tip about the cork bark, I buried it a bit more. It's sturdier now as well.

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
The B. albopilosum wil be fine in the delicup, just feed hem/her prekilld prey. leave the prey in the middle of the delicup and your sling wil find the prey..

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
And i dont like the coconut substrate in wet cages, it molts very fast.. Garden peat (moss peat) is better...

lvc

Arachnopeon
Very nice looking enclosures! Like already mentioned in here before A.genics tend to enjoy a bit more moisture outside of just the water dish. At least my A.genic sling (almost a juvie, little under 2") starts to hover around it´s water dish when the moist part of the substrate starts to dry up. Once I moisten it a bit again she´s all over the place once more ;)

For feeders I really enjoy mealworms for my slings. They are dirt-cheap, are easily portioned into appropriate meals for slings of different sizes and can be kept in the fridge for several months. For the bigger slings, like the A.genic I just crush the head and then feed an entire worm. For the smaller slings I cut the worms into smaller pieces.
The most important thing when feeding mealworms: Crush the head! If you just toss a worm into the enclosure it will start to burrow very quickly and after sometime a beetle will emerge from the substrate, which could potentially hurt your T when it´s molting for example. So never forget to crush the head! (Or cut it into the pieces ;) )

Enjoy your Ts!! :D

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
And i dont like the coconut substrate in wet cages, it molts very fast..
Nothing like the smell of freshly molted substrate in the morning :troll:

In my moist enclosures I just put some vent holes below the substrate level, it seems to do the trick at discouraging mold. You'll have to add water more frequently, but it's no biggie.