1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sling eating old mealworm. Is this a problem?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by WoofSpider, Feb 12, 2018.

1. WoofSpider

WoofSpider Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I'm pretty sure that this is fine, but I'd like to see how you guys weigh in.

Three days ago I left half of a dead mealworm just outside the burrow of my 1/2 inch A. chalcodes. She dragged the mealworm piece down into her burrow, but didn't eat any of it. The next day she molted.

Just now I noticed her munching on the mealworm. I guess she's done recovering from the molt. But, should I be concerned about her eating prey that has been dead for so long?

Three days isn't really long enough to rot too badly, so I'm thinking it's okay. I suppose that there's not much that I could do at this point, but I'd like to pose the question anyway.

2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't worry about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

I'm sure it's fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnobaron Active Member

Spider knows best. If the sling deems it edible hen it is, they won't eat rotting or bad food and even if hey did the enzymes in their venom would probably knock over any harmful bacteria

5. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

6. This cements my suspicion that slings should be considered minors in need of adult guidance. (nodding)

7. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Arachnohipster Arachnosupporter

Sounds gross to me but your T must like it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Eh, of course is a problem. A huge but no matter, fascinating problem. 'Zombie' Theraphosidae between... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, :troll:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Safer than Tide pods, I'm sure.

• Funny Funny x 7