Sling death rate

Is Xenethis immanis over rated?

• Total voters

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
All my Ts (7) I bought at an inch with no deaths thus far. All from fear not tarantulas.

Leila

Arachnobaron
It's likely had they been MIA for month/months they died and just decomposed. I imagine he checked the vent hole size before putting them in the enclosure.

While I've not had much trouble with tiny slings I do baby them a lot more than older (larger) slings. At 1/4 inch it doesn't take a lot to go off before the sling doesn't make it.
That makes way more sense; because yeah, I figured @user 666 didn't put them in enclosures with huge vent holes.

Dang, @user 666, I am sorry to hear that about your slings. RIP :(

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Now that I know my experience is not par for the course, I will do so.

The thing about my DOAs is that they all happened with exactly two vendors, both of which came highly recommended on this forum. With one vendor (Pet Center USA) I lost 4 and a half Ts out of an order of ten, and with the other vendor (@Inland Sea ) I lose a sling from every order.

I had already sworn off the one vendor, and the other has banned me because I complained about getting Ts half the promised size.

So I guess this problem has taken care of itself.
That's odd considering I have ordered from both vendors and have never had any issues with the size or DOAs. I did pm inland over their website having a size error on one of their tarantulas listed, but other than that, no issues.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Back when I first got into the hobby I ended up losing 4 slings total due to the mistakes of a noob. After doing more research and some youtube videos, I haven't had anymore sling deaths from my own fault. I did, however, get some slings from kenthebugguy and 1 was dying after I had unboxed it.... not exactly sure what happened to the little thing :/ but he gave me a refund on it. I've never had any DOAs and I've ordered from several different ppl/vendors. I'm on my toes every day with my itty bitty A. geniculatas until they get to the 3/4 inch mark. 5 of them are specks and the 6th is at least able to live in a condiment cup haha.

I've found for basic sling husbandry (just my experiences) keep them warm, half moist sub, and feed them more frequently. If you don't want them to go MIA burying themselves at such a small size, don't give them a lot of sub.... It just helps monitor their growth till they get to a not so fragile state.