Slight Case Of Arachnodiction !!

user 666

Arachnobaron
Spiderlings are much more fun and it's satisfying and rewarding watching em grow
Price is a lot better unless ya go to my local pet shop they wanted 30 40 pounds for spiderlings stick to online dealers for those I think
I can't get Ts in local shops; apparently they are banned from being sold in my area.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Lol what where you from mate that crazy
Prince William county, Virginia.

I can't even get the tarantula huts at Petco, and Persmart doesn't even carry rose hairs. And it's not just my local chain stores, but also every chain pet store in like 40 miles.

I can't explain it, no.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I'm at 11. Would be more but hubby and I are building a house and don't have tons of space in the meantime. House will be done in the fall so at that time the number will most likely skyrocket.

I've also watched my direction change as I've "matured" in my keeping - I used to think I wanted all Grammostola and Brachypelma because they're "nice" and "happy" and would never want arboreals but that's all changing. Now I want feisty angry Ts that want to eat me.

Ts:
1. G. porteri - first T, took home in 2008, my beautiful ancient dinosaur
2. C. cyaneopubescens - second T, took home summer 2016
3. B. boehmei - summer 2016
4. G. pulchra - fall 2016
5. G. pulchripes - winter 2016
6. B. albopilosum - winter 2017
7. N. tripepii - winter 2017
8. A. geniculata - winter 2017
9/10. A. avic x2 - winter 2017

True spider:
11. E. agrestis - winter 2017

Brad1993

Arachnopeon

I can't even get the tarantula huts at Petco, and Persmart doesn't even carry rose hairs. And it's not just my local chain stores, but also every chain pet store in like 40 miles.

I can't explain it, no.
I dunno what to say seems so odd lol thought would be fine over there obviously not lol couldn't u mail order from private dealers or is the prosecutions if ya keep them ?

I'm at 11. Would be more but hubby and I are building a house and don't have tons of space in the meantime. House will be done in the fall so at that time the number will most likely skyrocket.

I've also watched my direction change as I've "matured" in my keeping - I used to think I wanted all Grammostola and Brachypelma because they're "nice" and "happy" and would never want arboreals but that's all changing. Now I want feisty angry Ts that want to eat me.

Ts:
1. G. porteri - first T, took home in 2008, my beautiful ancient dinosaur
2. C. cyaneopubescens - second T, took home summer 2016
3. B. boehmei - summer 2016
4. G. pulchra - fall 2016
5. G. pulchripes - winter 2016
6. B. albopilosum - winter 2017
7. N. tripepii - winter 2017
8. A. geniculata - winter 2017
9/10. A. avic x2 - winter 2017

True spider:
11. E. agrestis - winter 2017
Prioritys lol and ya have plenty space after maybe just a floor dedicated to spidies.
Think most want nice ones at the start that's how u get hooked but do agree there's a few old worlds got my eye on but holding off at the moment maybe new year ... Or month lol would like a boehmie in the collects tho too many I want and will have em all haha

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I stopped buying more tarantulas five or six orders ago. I am not sure why my count keeps going up.

Correct. It's more than 10 times the fun :D Not even kidding. As you know, spiders do everything slow. When you have dozens of them, then something is always going on. Long premolts and fasts don't really matter when you've got other spiders to observe.
^^^ This all the way

When your first six slings all hide in the burrows you buy six more.

Jeff23

Arachnolord

I can't explain it, no.
Are the stores near you allowed to keep snakes lizards, turtles, fish, etc.?

Fear Not Tarantulas is not too far from you at Virginia Beach. You just need to make up excuses to go to the beach.

Maslorez

Arachnopeon
3 weeks ago i had 3... now its 17, i think if there would be more interesting species for me in my area the number could be much bigger

user 666

Arachnobaron
Are the stores near you allowed to keep snakes lizards, turtles, fish, etc.?

Fear Not Tarantulas is not too far from you at Virginia Beach. You just need to make up excuses to go to the beach.
Nah, I just buy online and at herp shows. The selection is better, although it is more expensive.

Alana

Arachnopeon
I started keeping again last June/July and I'm somewhere between 40 and 50 now, plus millipedes, cockroaches, etc. My partner is not keen at all. I think I'm going to have to put a cap on it soon though, just because of space. Need a few more avics first though

louise f

Arachnoangel
So In the past few weeks my collections gone from 2 Ts to 10, with more Ts adding to my wish list it shows no sign of stopping soon :happy: how bigs everyone else collection and how long did it take before it got out of control
out of control!!! Nooo, it is just an addiction ya know. :p:D Lol.
I dont know how many i have, i stopped counting a long time ago, and i am still collecting. :angelic:
You can see for yourself :):D

Leila

Arachnobaron
I am about to make a trip to one of the pet stores, as today is Feeding Day!!! ❤
If I come across any Ts while there, what am I supposed to do? Leave it there in that poopy shop where he/she isn't being properly cared for? I mean, I Have to rescue the T; there just will not be another option... :)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I am about to make a trip to one of the pet stores, as today is Feeding Day!!! ❤
If I come across any Ts while there, what am I supposed to do? Leave it there in that poopy shop where he/she isn't being properly cared for? I mean, I Have to rescue the T; there just will not be another option... :)
This happens to me ALL the time. "Oh I need crickets/more sphagnum moss because I'm redecorating/cat food/cat toys, time to go pick up supplies"
Hubby knows there's always a chance that a new baby will be coming home with me :D

Leila

Arachnobaron
This happens to me ALL the time. "Oh I need crickets/more sphagnum moss because I'm redecorating/cat food/cat toys, time to go pick up supplies"
Hubby knows there's always a chance that a new baby will be coming home with me :D
Yep. Lol. I ended up bringing an A. avic sling home today. :) I tried to strike up a simple conversation about tarantulas with the pet shop worker, and she was clearly annoyed and uninterested. For a 1.5 inch T, she suggested I purchase a 15 gal (!!!!!) tank.... ::sigh:: I knew I had to rescue that baby. Don't get me wrong; I know the employees of corporate pet shops generally mean well. But they typically are not hired due to their knowledge of the pets sold there. I am more afraid of the flakey owners-to-be, tbh.
Aaaaaanyway: I have a new baby! Yay!!!!

Kaiju Dude

Arachnopeon
Yep. Lol. I ended up bringing an A. avic sling home today. :) I tried to strike up a simple conversation about tarantulas with the pet shop worker, and she was clearly annoyed and uninterested. For a 1.5 inch T, she suggested I purchase a 15 gal (!!!!!) tank.... ::sigh:: I knew I had to rescue that baby. Don't get me wrong; I know the employees of corporate pet shops generally mean well. But they typically are not hired due to their knowledge of the pets sold there. I am more afraid of the flakey owners-to-be, tbh.
The same thing happened when I got my A.Avicularia. she's still in that tank. I'm trying to find a way to build her a new home so I won't waste much money.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Make sure you read what @Venom1080 wrote over in the T q&a section. That boy's righteous!!