Singapore Blue: molt colorchange?

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My SB went from a beautiful metallic purple to olive green overnight...I though it was a young female but is this still possible or do I have a male...I know lack of pics is no help, I haven't seen the whole t yet so I'll throw any other info up as the day progresses.

justingordon

Arachnosquire
The males mature at a greenish brown and they aren't very big..how big was it before it molted?

creepa

Arachnoknight
Its probably a male..., can you see any hooks on the spider?

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It was well over 3 inches in legspan Diagonally measured if I have that right, and I am looking for hooks the next time it emerges...

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You really cannot mistake a mature male L.violaceopes for any other sort of L.violaceopes.
Forget spurs/hooks, forget "boxing gloves", they are just completely and utterly different looking, you'd have to be genuinely blind not to be able to tell a mature male of this species (same goes for most Lampropelma, Phormingochilus and Cyriopagopus)

Juvenile specimen:

Adult female:

Mature male:

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
UhhhhGGG! Well yesterday I had the Female photo represented nearly perfectly...now I have the male, quite well represented. No chance huh? I just wanted this one to live a long time, I'm not that mad. I'll post pics tonight.

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
It may not be mature yet. From what I've read, male L. violaceopes change colors around the 4" size, before they mature.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't be too annoyed. In my experience the females don't live that much longer than the bloody males!

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't be too annoyed. In my experience the females don't live that much longer than the bloody males!
Wait, what? Is this short lifespan for Lv's or does it include all Lampros (and Cyrios)?

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
I think Lopez might be referring to his females dying from other causes and not old age. Becuase their (females) life span is much longer than the males. My male matured out in 14 months. Good luck getting a female to mature out in that time.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think Lopez might be referring to his females dying from other causes and not old age. Becuase their (females) life span is much longer than the males. My male matured out in 14 months. Good luck getting a female to mature out in that time.
I had a male that matured SUPER early too. I had a pair that I was going to try to breed in the future. The female was larger, I was feeding her heavier and I thought everything was good to go. Then the male goes and matures from ~4" to a big lanky male.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
With regards to the lifespan, I was only being half flippant - the females really do seem to have quite a short lifespan (nothing like as short as that of a male, but I've not known of an adult female live more than 4 or 5 years)

LV-426

Arachnobaron
So pretty much it's not gonna be one of those 10+ year lifespan tarantulas.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wel thankk you everyone, I think and do believe it's male. It looks almost an inch bigger after this last molt and definately have to move it to a bigger tank. it's a little over 5 inches I'd say but man, was a beautiful purple till the molt, I had no thoughts it would be male.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Did you see if your male matured then? I have several females I would love to get another bloodline in. I have a male, but it's nice to mix up the gene pool. Or do you plan on keeping him and not breeding him?

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are my pics over the last few days to a week or so...it's more drastic than believeable.

then this:

could not believe my eyes.