1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simply Spiders, what a joke!!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by jrh3, Mar 15, 2019 at 6:49 AM.

1. jrh3

jrh3 Enigmatic Arachnoid Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    So I see some new breeder on facebook and start following them, aka Simply Spiders, this morning they post a video, P. Irminia breeding. Im thinking cool lets watch, this guy takes what im guessing is the male, that is in a 32 oz deli cup, and sticks the cup in the female cage. Turns it upside down and starts slapping the cup like its a bottle of ketchup, finally the Tarantula falls into the cage. And his excuse was, dude im not sticking my hand in there. The camera guy then laughs and says thats one way to do it.

I must say they will never get a dime of my money after seeing this. They dont care about the wellbeing of their collection, only the sales im guessing.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 6:59 AM
    • Sad Sad x 9
  2. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnoknight Active Member

UK
    Unfortunately that's how it is in many cases with breeders/dealers that are financially driven, and it only comes to light to the likes of us when something like videos are posted in an attempt to boost sales.

Obviously there are also a higher proportion of excellent dedicated breeders that sell on surplus stock etc. that do care very much for the well being of their stock, some will even ask questions to potential buyers about correct care.

Then there are the ones I love most of all that will sell ANY large black scorpion as Pandinus imperator ( Emperor Scorpion )

3. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

I use a huge plastic spoon to get males out of places/into places. Why did this person think the only option was their hand?

I don't like that this hobby is becoming more popular... it means more uneducated/careless people are hopping right in.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnobaron Active Member

I don't have any experience breeding, but from reading about it around the boards here, aren't Psalmopoeus one of the easiest genera to pair? He could have simply placed the cup in the enclosure and the male likely would have started tapping/exploring in short order on his own.

Seems like forcing the male to drop into the enclosure is a good way to elicit a feeding response in the female.

5. jrh3

Yep, all he needed was some holes in the deli cup and a paint brush would have been a safer way of doing it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

And you can be rest assured that these people aren't doing their due diligence to ensure that they aren't creating hybrids either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jrh3

Yeah its sad when people come into the hobby with the mindset to only make a profit. This is when the Tarantulas suffer. What makes it worse is they advertise as one of the top 5 online stores that sale Tarantulas. When reading about their staff info, one is only 8 months into the hobby so im assuming it was him slapping the cup in the video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnobaron Active Member

This is a main reason why governments/institutions aren't willing to turn to the hobby for breed and release programs. Most people aren't going to spend the time to learn how to properly identify a spider based on the taxonomic key for the species. Unless something is really 'wrong' with an individual spider's appearance, most will likely trust that the person who sold the spider was correct, or that the person who collected it from the wild accurately identified it.

We even see debate here based on photos and the like, with experienced members giving different answers to ID requests, let alone the inexperienced or new keepers.