1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silliest T advice you've ever heard at a pet store

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Moltar, Apr 17, 2007.

1. beaker41

beaker41 Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    When I bought my first t, a peaceful rose hair the pet store employee handed me the thickest leather glove you've ever seen and said "good luck in not touching that thing !"

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Draketeeth

Draketeeth Arachnoknight

USA
    My lps had a MM with seven legs for sale and no idea of when it molted. The manager informed me the leg would grow back next molt.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Tygarys

Tygarys Arachnopeon

10 day waiting period? Must have been one of those assault roseas! Did this one have full-auto fangs? :D

I was told once to only use the water gel, no liquid water, and if the gel dried out to just spray it with water to refresh it, no need to replace the gel.

4. gypsy cola

gypsy cola Arachnoknight

OBT's are actually true spiders and not tarantulas. The same guy was able to explain the difference between a g.porteri and g.rosea and whatever the "new one" is very accurately.

5. Spidermolt

Spidermolt Arachnoknight

I have heard so much ridiculous stuff that I don't even know where to begin but the most common I have come across is that everybody swears that G. roseas live in soaking wet substrate... like pick up a handful and you will see it dripping without even squeezing it soaked. :banghead:

6. parthicus

parthicus Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

I went to a local box chain pet store near me this past weekend and saw an a. avic for sale. A representative comes up to me and asks if I need any help and I asked if they knew if the tarantula was wild caught or captive bred. I suspected it was wild caught but I was just curious. The rep then tells me that it came from some other supplier which farm bred them. That was the first time I ever heard of tarantulas being "farm-bred". Then the employee goes on and talks about the care requirements for the avic. This is where it gets funny or sad in a way. They tell me that you can just house them in a tub with coco fiber as the substrate(got the substrate right at least) and that it did not need any cork bark/branches for the avic to climb on. Here is the part where I just could not take it any longer. They told me I could feed it crickets and occasionally give it vegetables. This is the point where I just said thank you for your advice and left. I did not want to embarrass that rep but the big chain stores seriously need to train their reps on this or hire reps that truly know and understand the animals that they sell.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Every time these people give this info and are not corrected, it only serves to reinforce in their minds that the info is correct. IMO one should always at least attempt to correct bad information...walking away quietly serves no one well. JMO

I enjoyed the story, just not the end:)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  8. parthicus

parthicus Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

Now that I think about it, I wish I could go back and correct them like you mentioned. That would have at least would have helped the rep provide correct information along to other customers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AshLee

AshLee Arachnopeon

Not quite advice, but one Petco employee a few years back had been telling everyone that males only have shorter lifespans than females in the wild because the females attack and kill them. In captivity, males live just as long. They'd said a number of other things that I happened to forget, and did not take kindly to having their information challenged at all.

10. bryverine

bryverine Arachnoangel

Again, I encountered a LPS employee that schooled me on spider keeping.

I'm looking for some cheap critter keepers and unfortunately petco has some for very cheap online. I asked if they have it in store and the guy thought he could make recommendations for a different housing depending on the critter it was to keep. Sure, why not... I told him it was for a 3" tarantula and, wouldn't you know it, he had "just the thing" - a 10 gallon, glass tank.

I told him I can't drill holes in glass and he replied with "You don't need to! I have a screen top right here!"

I explained that tarsal claws get caught and with enough time, it can actually be chewed through. He responded in an increasingly rude manner "I have spiders and I've never seen or even heard of that! Besides, the mesh is metal." It went down hill from there and I left.

It's not that he was wrong, he's entitled to be wrong... it was the sheer arrogance and accusatory tone that I was actually an idiot, you know because he's the "aquatic expert" at the store... :banghead:

I'm no expert by any stretch, but why must they always be the "expert" and if someone can even proove them wrong (I can even show pictures) they just bear down and become hostile? I was very polite too!

I worked at a pet store many moons ago; I was the "expert" at the time, but if someone corrected me, I would at least consider that I was wrong...

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Abyss

Abyss Arachnoknight

Hmmmm silliest as in worst advice ever????

Mine is easily when i bought my first T, and the pet store owner sold me a GIANT heat rock explaining it was from a desert and needed the extra heat

12. Kymura

Kymura Arachnoknight

Heard the manager at pet supermarket tell a woman he could trim the fangs for a fee, I stepped up and explained it to this woman, holding my hand up every time he opened his mouth. Showed her my pictures of my T's etc etc. Then told him to do some research or consider another line of work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  13. Abyss

Abyss Arachnoknight

Hmmmm nice fang trimming...... Sounds lovely smh

14. Blackout14

Blackout14 Arachnoknight

Pa
    Hope it was an obt he wanted to try to trim :banghead:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Kymura

Kymura Arachnoknight

That would have been perfect. I'd have paid him to try then bought the OBT and set her up like a queen. :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blackout14

Blackout14 Arachnoknight

Pa
    Some peoples children worry me sometimes lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Recently I ran into a shop to pick up some quick t housing. WHen the subject of use came up, I told her that I needed to re-house a t...she was very interested...then she asked if it or they had to have their fangs removed...I laughed and explained that they were a critical part of a spider's survival...to my dismay she kept arguing, all the while giving me the look like she knew better than me....too funny, pack the crap into a bag, give me my change and stop with the random animal advice that's not based on reality, pretty please.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. bryverine

bryverine Arachnoangel

What I want to know is if these people have seriously trimmed fangs or have seen someone trim them before. Besides being so cruel, don't you think they'd get the hint with dead tarantulas all around? :(

Then again, maybe they would just blame the buyer because they let their tarantula get too cold with only one heat mat for the 30 gallon long tank... :banghead:

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. OliverWhatever

OliverWhatever Arachnosquire

Norway
    A pet store worker once told me to leave a slice of apple in the enclosure, as tarantulas are actually omnivorous, and will eat fruit. I was just a little kid, and had taken over a G.rosea from my sisters friend, so for the next year or so I tried feeding my spider apples, until I figured out how to use the internet and learned better from experienced hobbyists.

That same pet store still exists, and I am about fed up about arguing with the workers there. Spiders are kept on a thin layer of substrate with nothing to hide under except some fake plants hanging from the walls, with heating lamps not giving a spot of shade. The waterdishes are filled with water crystals, and after pointing out that spiders and scorpions can't get any moisture from it, I was told that it's actually better to use water crystals, as they tend to poop in the water. Juvenile spiders are sold for three times the amount you would have to spend for a spider from a breeder, including shipping.

I have given up. Now I just try my hardest to ignore the poor tarantulas they got, and to keep my mouth shut.

• Sad Sad x 1
  20. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

I hate it when those so called employees act like that. There are hundreds of threads about LPS, Petco, Petsmart and more garbage like that treating their animals like that. :(