Silkworm die offs

Defalt

Arachnosquire
I have been trying my hand at raising silkworms for a while now, and each time I run into the same issue. At first, everything will be goimg fine but after a week or so, I start finding some of them dead. Usually they will appear slightly greenish and there will be some fluids leaking out, a couple days later I tend to find a whole bunch of them dead im a similar fashion, some of them also appear flattened. There are several potential causes I can think of.
1. Maybe there are bacteria/fungi on my hands that are transferred to the silkworms via their food
2. I keep my silkworms in a closed container and the air where I live is relatively humid, so perhaps the natural humidity in the air plus water vapour from evaporation caused moisture to build up inside their container
3. Its too hot/cold (since I like to turn on the air con sometimes)
4. I use neem cake on my plants, I dont know if they can absorb the substances responsible for the bug killing properties of neem, especially since most of the oils in neem cake have been removed, but it's not entirely impossible
5. I leave mulberry leaves in their container pretty much up till they are left with nothing but veins or until they grow mouldy, so its possible that the silkworms have ingested some mould
6. I feed them primarily with black mulberry leaves which is not their ideal diet. I have already recently bought some white mulberry grafts and from the few leaves they have I can tell that the consistency is very different, with the white mulberry having much thinner leaves.
If anyone has had experience with this, what have you done to remedy it? Also, what other potential causes could there be for the mass silkworm deaths and what can I do to fix it?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
You have too many variables. Could be any of your 6 or other. I do know the silkworm farms here free feed in netted containments. Always fresh food in abundance in free air flow. Wish I could help more but my visits to the farms are frustrating. What little literature there is is in Thai and farmers just following traditions and unable to lucidly explain operations.

Additional info (I lucked out. Neighbor has worked on silk farms.) White mulberry. They add a little saffron for the golden silk color. Same environment as the mulberry, HOT climate. Mildew is a big problem. May be yours. Plant hibiscus around the green houses. They are mildew hypersensitive and will give an early warning of things getting too cool and damp. Otherwise, birds are the big enemy. Our hillside Myna consider silk farms buffet lunches.
Green houses are just to protect from birds. Just mesh with free air flow or vented glasshouses often with forced ventilation.
Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens is the source for info, but everything about growing plants is in Thai and requires a visit to their offices to obtain literature. http://www.qsbg.org/

http://www.qsbg.org/Database/BOTANIC_Book full option/search_detail.asp?botanic_id=1025

Addendum. Anyone visiting Thailand: QSBG is a must to visit. Only an hours drive outside Chiang Mai. Plan to spend an entire day. Lots of hills, up and down hiking, but vehicles are permitted throughout the area.

Last edited:

Defalt

Arachnosquire
You have too many variables. Could be any of your 6 or other. I do know the silkworm farms here free feed in netted containments. Always fresh food in abundance in free air flow. Wish I could help more but my visits to the farms are frustrating. What little literature there is is in Thai and farmers just following traditions and unable to lucidly explain operations.

Additional info (I lucked out. Neighbor has worked on silk farms.) White mulberry. They add a little saffron for the golden silk color. Same environment as the mulberry, HOT climate. Mildew is a big problem. May be yours. Plant hibiscus around the green houses. They are mildew hypersensitive and will give an early warning of things getting too cool and damp. Otherwise, birds are the big enemy. Our hillside Myna consider silk farms buffet lunches.
Green houses are just to protect from birds. Just mesh with free air flow or vented glasshouses often with forced ventilation.
Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens is the source for info, but everything about growing plants is in Thai and requires a visit to their offices to obtain literature. http://www.qsbg.org/

http://www.qsbg.org/Database/BOTANIC_Book full option/search_detail.asp?botanic_id=1025

Addendum. Anyone visiting Thailand: QSBG is a must to visit. Only an hours drive outside Chiang Mai. Plan to spend an entire day. Lots of hills, up and down hiking, but vehicles are permitted throughout the area.
thanks for all the info. I was actually planning on visiting Chiang Mai at the end of the year, I will definitely look into going to Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens during my stay there.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Definitely sounds like a disease related issue. Diseases are a common theme with silkworms and other large caterpillars.

Sounds like the problem is that you keep them sealed and don't clean the containers often enough. The moisture and lack of airflow allows bacteria to proliferate, and the fact that you let the leaves get moldy means you probably don't empty the old leaves and frass very frequently.

Defalt

Arachnosquire
Definitely sounds like a disease related issue. Diseases are a common theme with silkworms and other large caterpillars.

Sounds like the problem is that you keep them sealed and don't clean the containers often enough. The moisture and lack of airflow allows bacteria to proliferate, and the fact that you let the leaves get moldy means you probably don't empty the old leaves and frass very frequently.
Ah I see, how often do you reccommend I empty the leaves if I live in an environment that is relatively warm and humid

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The caterpillars shun dead or sickly plants, so there's a clue.