1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silicone safety

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by snarf, May 7, 2018.

1. snarf

snarf Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I am building and plywood box to keep all my T's enclosures in and was wondering since they wont be direct contact with it if GE clear silicone 2 would be safe to use after it cures i used it to glue the track down for the sliding glass doors on the box is all it says 100% silicone but also says mildew resistant for 7 years and heard it could be an issue any thoughts?

2. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

Fully cured silicone glues are considered non toxic and completely inert. They get rubber stamped approved for use in food processing equipment and do not provide a usable surface for molds and bacteria to thrive on.

3. snarf

snarf Arachnopeon

Thanks a bunch

4. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnobaron

As long as you let the silicone cure before exposing the T to it there's no issue.

5. Jayke

Jayke Arachnopeon

To add on - in case anybody comes looking for this sort of information later - any aquarium grade silicone should be safe once it is fully cured. Which can take up to two weeks with some caulking silicone, but depends on ambient temp and humidity. If the silicone is not fully cured, it may continue to put off some smell and it will have a different surface pH (more acidic, will lower water pH if used before fully cured).
    The aquarium caulking silicone is safe to use (once cured), but not every other silicone can be presumed to be. Avoid any that are partially or fully latex based, as they can tend to curl up at the edges and peel off over time. I'd suggest just using aquarium caulk in particular, as I've had problems in the past with some caulks (especially any non-transparent ones, for some reason) being eaten by feeders left in the enclosure, or ants trying to find their way in.

Technically silicone -as its default existence- is not safe to use with food (and even food grade ones can be contaminated during mixing), I'm pretty sure most caulking silicones you'll find at the store are not, though the ones safe to use within water (like the aquarium caulk) are more likely to be. If it must be food safe, or you're really paranoid about it, you can order food grade platinum cure silicones from companies like "smooth-on". They have two pound "trial size" kits for ~$33+ship, but most of them are not viscous enough to use like caulk, it'll pool out more like syrup. It does cure must faster than caulk, and doesn't smell as much, but it kind of needs more prep. I think the only major upside to using food-grade silicone over aquarium caulk in this particular situation would be so you could subject the tank to more dramatic temperatures (like -50 or 140F), which obviously wouldn't be used with an animal, but can help if you need to disinfect the tank. Or you might be able to "slush" the silicone around on the bottom of the tank to make a peelable easy-clean tank liner or something, but it's entirely possible that the food-grade silicone may partially bond with the caulking silicone keeping the cage together.

• Like Like x 1