Sight or vibrations ?

Otteresting

Arachnoknight
Hi there !

I just wanted to ask a simple question.

When I walk in front of the enclosures placed on a shelf, it happens my tarantulas run away staight to their holes. Is it because they saw me or because they felt vibrations ?

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
Hi there !

I just wanted to ask a simple question.

When I walk in front of the enclosures placed on a shelf, it happens my tarantulas run away staight to their holes. Is it because they saw me or because they felt vibrations ?

More than likely vibrations. To my understanding T eyesight is fairly poor.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Most likely the vibrations from you walking past, it's thought that tarantulas can only see for a distance of a few cm (which would mean they're effectively blind).

Mjb30

Arachnosquire
Ts are very responsive to light/dark in a very binary way. If you’re shading or unshading a light source as you walk past then they could certainly have a flighty response.

Jonroe

Arachnopeon
Ts are very responsive to light/dark in a very binary way. If you’re shading or unshading a light source as you walk past then they could certainly have a flighty response.
I agree, depending on the species they react quite strong to change in lighting.
My large Geniculata doesn't react to a change in lighting at all, H. Mac will often bolt when I switch the light on and shes on a wander.
So I'd guess its the same with you throwing a shadow on them.

That being said most of my spiders don't care about lights or shadows and only react to vibration.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
One of the things I enjoy about diverse specimens is the variety of responses to various stimuli. Out of 11 T's, only three respond immediately to light, B. Vagans and H. Himalayana bolt, but P. Muticus slowly saunters back to her burrow in manner that says, "I can't believe you turned that on, idiot."

Otteresting

Arachnoknight
Oh it may be the cause then. I don't think I am making any vibrations, I always walk with slippers :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They are 'of contemplative' animals that love peaceful and 'darky' environments, that's why. They hate noise, vibrations and such, and actually I agree with those eight legged point of view.

I fail to realize why in those huge U.S libraries :bookworm: where someone is 24/7 always ready to say 'Pssht! Silence!' there's tons of those green coloured lamps but not a single Theraphosidae enclosure.

Mah, I say :bored:

Mjb30

Arachnosquire
They are 'of contemplative' animals that love peaceful and 'darky' environments, that's why. They hate noise, vibrations and such, and actually I agree with those eight legged point of view.

I fail to realize why in those huge U.S libraries :bookworm: where someone is 24/7 always ready to say 'Pssht! Silence!' there's tons of those green coloured lamps but not a single Theraphosidae enclosure.

Mah, I say :bored:
I’d love to live in a world run by you one day... it would be bonkers!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I suspect if the clothes you were wearing that day clashed, they ran out of embarrassment and shame that their owner didn't match.