Side vents vs top vents?

Mr B Smithi

Arachnopeon
I have read that venting on the side of an enclosure is best for 'cross ventilation' and on top is slightly frowned upon. Is there a right or wrong and what are the pros and cons of each option?
My setup currently is a small container for a B hamorii sling, so just a few pin holes in the top lid to slow down moisture evaporating.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I recommend a combination of top and bottom vents so you will have adequate cross circulation.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
In my experience, top ventillation tends to dry out the cage faster than the same amount of side vents. Might be because the evaporated water goes up? I have no idea, but I like side ventillation. Check out this older thread, super interesting when it comes to top vs side.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/top-side-ventilation-from-the-view-of-molecular-motion.288478/

Doesn't seem to make a difference, I just like side venting because it leaves the top clean and easy to look into ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's no science in the hobby for ventilation. People do what works for them. Cross vent is all vertical, but I use top as well esp for Avics and other arboreals.

The one thing that is a science is never make the holes wider than the carapace of the T going in, if you do, you're offering an escape route.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have read that venting on the side of an enclosure is best for 'cross ventilation' and on top is slightly frowned upon. Is there a right or wrong and what are the pros and cons of each option?
I use a combination of side and top ventilation to improve airflow. For slings, I use fewer holes in the top so that the moisture does not evaporate as quickly.