sick OBT?

Cyras

Arachnopeon
Only had for bout a month. Looked good at first, started not climbing as well/lazy thought maybe pre molt than had power out for a night temps got down to 16 Celsius. Week later took this pic

Attachments

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Could be in heavy premolt (not sure due to pic), just from the dark exo, they are very hardy so the temps is close to what mines has been over the holidays (that means its ok) all mine have survived. what is your setup like?

Cyras

Arachnopeon
its a 5 gallon screen top with 2-3 inches really dry coco, small water bowl and a coconut half he goes into and seals up. also some fake bamboo and twig vertically. temps are steady now at 20-21 C.. another thing is he seems to be cleaning him self alot always has a foot in his mouth

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
its a 5 gallon screen top with 2-3 inches really dry coco, small water bowl and a coconut half he goes into and seals up. also some fake bamboo and twig vertically. temps are steady now at 20-21 C.. another thing is he seems to be cleaning him self alot always has a foot in his mouth
Cool your setup sounds fine, temps are good (try keeping at 75F) but your T will survive, from your descriptions between setup/T's health etc, it all sounds normal as T's do clean themselves now and again (mostly after/before eating), acting sluggish not eating behaving oddly is signs of premolt, form my experience everything is as it should be, others will add more to help if ive missed something other than that just wait and see how your T changes over days/weeks. update us on progress.

Edit as above possibly a mature male, they usually dont survive long, some weeks/months if lucky.

Cyras

Arachnopeon
will do.. its just after hours of looking at male OBT's pics online not one looked all dark like mine. but i feel better knowing that my pic didnt worry you.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
will do.. its just after hours of looking at male OBT's pics online not one looked all dark like mine. but i feel better knowing that my pic didnt worry you.
The pic wasn't the best (good quality) but not frontal and back/underside, that means I only had your description and one pic to make a decision on what to say, if you can get a good pic of the front face and underside then we can give a better answer.

Cyras

Arachnopeon
will try to get better pics underside should be fun. here is a bad one from rear. also wanted to mention he isnt webbing to heavy like a pre molt should

Attachments

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Does it have hooks under first legs? And "boxing gloves" at the end of its pedipalps?

Cyras

Arachnopeon
Yes hooks are there. And pedilaps are smaller and rounder than other larger OBT's I 've seen

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
From the new pic looks like an OLD mature male, i can't see the full palps but see the position of them looks like glove style (palps), they Will walk endlessly looking for a female eating nearly nothing till thay do, you maybe Lucky to get a couple of weeks, could be longer if no sperm Webb has been created?

Cyras

Arachnopeon
Hmm. He did kinda make like a cocoon when I first got him and at night would constantly walk around. Only ate two crickets in first week or so
slowly got worse. It was smaller than other OBT choice but thought it was younger didn't know it was male. Till I googled those hooks he had

Cyras

Arachnopeon
just left store I bought him a month ago and a guy who's always there after seeing pic said they shouldn't have sold it to me.and would have been better to use him for breeding purposes. Well I hope he liked his final home was better than his cup (at least I think)
thanks everyone for the immediate help, gonna look for female OBT and hopefully post some sweet feeding pics one day

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
just left store I bought him a month ago and a guy who's always there after seeing pic said they shouldn't have sold it to me.and would have been better to use him for breeding purposes. Well I hope he liked his final home was better than his cup (at least I think)
thanks everyone for the immediate help, gonna look for female OBT and hopefully post some sweet feeding pics one day
That's good info, most pet stores dont admit many faults, did you give him back/get your Money back? ether way if you want an OBT then a Sling/juvie female is the way to go.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
yep male pattern baldness, I see patches of hair fall off on mature males as they roam for a female and while I never seen this much hair loss on a large scale this is why he is so dark.