Sicarius terrosus

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think ive read that there has been a couple reported bites and both were fatal. ??

CaptainChaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Propably because they don´t live near human population areas there have been so few bites, but i too have read that the venom is maybe strongest of all spiders and no antivenom. Better to be safe than sorry and not play around with those. Even if it doesn´t kill you could very well loose an arm (or more) and the medical bills for such operations are not cheap regardless of the end (well ok, if you die you don´t propably care =P ).

My female is pretty docile and easygoing, but she can be a fast and jumpy one too. Thank god they don´t climb on glasswalls..

Arocknid

Arachnopeon
They do indeed live in caves, the genus is split down the middle, those associated with caves (new world) and those associated with african grasslands.

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do S. terrosus live in caves? never heard about that...

I have heard that the venom is very strong yes, but the strongest of all spiders? :?

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Exactly waht I thought Niklas, the spiders live in the open I'm sure, not caves?
And I know the african sicarius are stronger than south american spp. but still something that you do not wan to be bitten by, no way to neutralize or counteract invenimation apart from removing bitten area and hoping there is not alot of venom in the bloodd.

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess some species live in caves and some out in the open? sounds more likley to me...

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey I was wondering, can this species climb smooth surfaces?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beautiful spider! Those pics really bring out the family resemblance to Loxosceles.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey I was wondering, can this species climb smooth surfaces?
Nope, but they have special little hooks on their legs that allow them to climb smooth skin very well!!
:eek: :D :D :D

Great to see one so clean of sand. Can you flip it over and hold it so we can see its underneath? :? ...:D

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Such great looking spider either way! In this case, however, I prefer the normal coloration to the post molt.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Maybe use a piece of glass/empty terrarium? How skittish are these?

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, if you were actually able to do so, it would be great to see more of this specie. I cant recall ever seeing such a shot. ;)
I can give ti a try, dont promise anything.

Maybe use a piece of glass/empty terrarium? How skittish are these?
Yes that is how I would do it. They are very skittish and fast.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Their venom is similar to Loxosceles. But it may be more toxic than the Loxosceles venom.
Now I know why the genius looked so familiar. Glad they can't climb glass! Beautiful spider though. Sort of looks like a over grown crab spider......please tell me they're not related or anything....;P I love it though. Wouldn't want it in my house though but I like it.

Keep posting pics. I'm going to do some research on these too when I get around to it. Nice to learn about new species that interest you in some way.

You always get the cool spiders!
Yeah! No fair let us at some! :D I'm coming for you now......εĭз

Black Widow88

pinktoe23

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nice shots! deadly to keep but a very interesting sp. to watch nonetheless. so is there any particular reason why to this date no one has been able to produce an antivenom? I know latrodectus has but not this one, I was wondering if anyone knew why this would be.

I also found these interesting vids on you tube about them and liked them a lot. it's a shame they're that dangerous or I'd be interested in keeping one :(

[YOUTUBE]YtXPmWJcuZY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]35gBDNcu_JU&mode=related&search=[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
HOLY! :eek:

The first one in the first vid was hilarious because at first I didn't know why it was digging in the sand like that then at the end when I saw it covering its self with the sand I knew why.....It was trying to hide from the FBI....

.....because it was guilty for murder. :D As it was covering its self with the sand it was saying something like "no no no! Wasn't me I didn't kill the man's friend. No you've must've been mistaken I'm not a Sicarius terrosus....I'm a trapdoor spider completely harmless..."

{D

But man they're fast! Do you know why they bury themselves like that? εĭз

Black Widow88