Shrunken T after moult.

Hemolymph

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My A. avic, marmite, hasn't eaten in about 2 months or so.. at least not more than a cricket. It finally moulted 2 days ago.. and well she looks like complete crap.

She is smaller than when I bought her 2 moults ago. Her abdomen is so tiny - it's scary !. I attribute that to no food and or water. I did spray the side of a wall.. and she walked all over if drinking some of the water.... but she seemed so disoriented and didn't walk properly.

I just hope she lasts long enough until I can feed her again. She just doesn't look healthy at all.
I know T's can go quite awhile with out food.... but.. her abdomen is almost non existant compared to before.

Any advice other than just waiting it out ?
I want to feed her so bad, but I know I need to wait at least a week more.

- jeni

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Hemolymph
Any advice other than just waiting it out ?
I want to feed her so bad, but I know I need to wait at least a week more.

- jeni
**I wouldn't wait another week.Check her fangs.If they're dark she's ready to eat.Plop one in...she'll either eat it or not...at least she's given the opportunity and by the sounds of it she's in much need of nourishment and will probably take it...peace..

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yes, sounds like it took alot out of her. Keep her well hydrated, and I'd offer food sooner as well. You might try pre killed too..to help her out.
good luck

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just make sure and feed it something soft.....NOT BEETLES! (sorry, bad past experience) - crickets or roach nymphs would probably work. I wouldn't even mess with mealworms/superworms...

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
As far as water goes, she probably needs some... every once in awhile I put my avics in a cereal bowl with about 1/4" of water in the bottom. They'll drink for 3 or 4 minutes!!

Hemolymph

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for your replies. Well, I will definatley check her fangs.
She looks so pitiful right now.. it makes me sad !

She just turned down food forever.. and I have always offered her fresh water and sprayed her walls frequently (thats how she usually drinks)..... and she was hiding in her webbing forever...

I think I might put her in a smaller moist container and throw a cricket in there in about a day or two. I can tell her exo skeleton isn't totally hard yet.. because her legs still look quite flimsy.

- Jeni

andyc

Arachnopeon
You could try some raw meat like steak, plenty of moisture in it.

my little Avics (1cm) love it and are now fat little piggies. :D

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Food ICU?

You might want to check out Rugby Dave's instructions for a Food ICU - if it's truly not eating at all, this might help. Check it:

From RugbyDave:

Ah, here we go. This is the last time i posted about the FOOD ICU:
--------
<Haha No worries:
<
<Regardless of any crazy and seemingly insane info you get on <this forum, what matters is, that people who care and love <these animals have figured out certain things that can aid <in 'raising' T's!
<
<My father showed this to me when i was really young, and i'm <sure I can't be the only one that uses a FOOD ICU.
<
<Basically, its like I described:
<(just a deli cup with slightly damp substrate and a warm <papertowel over the airholes in a dark, quiet place)...
<
<In mine, its a normal size deli cup for the bigger slings, but for <the smaller slings, i use a condiment cup. I take some eco earth <and pack it down REAL tight (about an 1" down). I obviously <have many air holes poked in the top, and i (don't ask why) <place a nice, warm, damp papertowel over the lid of the FOOD <ICU, after i put the T in followed by the cricket. Then, i place the <whole FOOD ICU in a dark cupboard above my fridge, but you <can put it anywhere dark, not drafty, and quiet.
<
<It may take your T a while to get used to it, but whenever I <have problems feeding any of my T's, i use my FOOD ICU and <presto -- starts eating.
<
<And like i said, I originally thought that there would be some <kind of conditioning for the T (in regards to feeding in the deli <cup), but like i said, years and years of this has proven me <wrong. They certainly get used to crickets "falling out of the sky" <(as someone on this forum so perfectly put it) and they get <used to being helped out of bad molts, and they get used to not <really having to search for a mate... and they get used to the <FOOD ICU.
<
<It prompts the feeding response, and starts them eating.. the <key, though, is knowing when to STOP the FOOD ICU. i use it for <about 3 weeks, and then try feeding back in the cage.
<
<I know some bio/arachno friends who use this method. It's <great! Just make sure to check on the sling,so its not getting <eaten... But def. leave it alone for a couple mins (8-10-30?)....
<
<and also, if you just got your T's, they may be afflicted with <Shipping Syndrome, which is basically just saying that they're <stressed and shocked from shipping, and it takes them some <time to adjust to their new home..
<
<But if all else fails, try the FOOD ICU - i think you'll be surprised!
<
<whew.
<
<
<peace,
<dave
------

Good luck!!!!! :(

Hemolymph

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey thanks so much ! good info about the ICU.

well.. i tried to get her to move around a bit last night.... to see if she was still walking all wobbly.... and she found her way to the water dish at some point.
I came in and she was drinking away.. so I think that did a worlds of difference.. her stance looks a lot better.

I threw a cricket in there, and I don't think she has eaten it yet.. but she's been active, as everytime i come in the room she is at a new spot on the wall.

I will try the ICU thing if she doesn't eat now ;-)

- Jeni