Show off your naturalistic planted vivs!

Deeser

Arachnosquire
Hey all!
Hoping to get people sharing their planted / bioactive / naturalistic vivariums for their eight-legged friends to inspire one another and others interested in exploring that side of the hobby.

Here is my GBB enclosure with a couple succulents in a mix of sand, top soil and coco fibre with stones, driftwood and leaf matter.
20170915_153758~2.jpg
20170918_110522.jpg

Its definitely too tall and roomy for the little guy and while he has been living in there comfortably without incident for a couple months, I'm setting him up a new home and using that one for a planted arboreal viv shortly.

Lets see yours! :D

Last edited:

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
I would like to have nice big terrariums with live plants and look of natural environment for all my females. Making terrariums is hardest and most expensive part of this hobby imo. But its also very rewarding, what can be better than having piece of jungle or desert with big tarantula inside;) So far I made only one for my Lasiadora, but now in spare time I am working on terrarium for my P. cambridgei.

And with occupant;)

Deeser

Arachnosquire
I would like to have nice big terrariums with live plants and look of natural environment for all my females. Making terrariums is hardest and most expensive part of this hobby imo. But its also very rewarding, what can be better than having piece of jungle or desert with big tarantula inside;) So far I made only one for my Lasiadora, but now in spare time I am working on terrarium for my P. cambridgei.

And with occupant;)
Very nice! I'm looking forward to building a Cambridgei tank too.

What plant is that? Some sort of philodendron?

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
I am so going to do this with my future P. sazimai. In aquaria they call biotope setup a tank utilizing native flora that occur sympatrically with the fish they are keeping.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Hey all!
Hoping to get people sharing their planted / bioactive / naturalistic vivariums for their eight-legged friends to inspire one another and others interested in exploring that side of the hobby.

Here is my GBB enclosure with a couple succulents in a mix of sand, top soil and coco fibre with stones, driftwood and leaf matter.
View attachment 252392
View attachment 252394

Its definitely too tall and roomy for the little guy and while he has been living in there comfortably without incident for a couple months, I'm setting him up a new home and using that one for a planted arboreal viv shortly.

Lets see yours! :D
How long has your gbb been in there? I tried to grow succulents with mine and they ended up dying from a mix of too little light and being choked with a blanket of webbing.

Deeser

Arachnosquire
How long has your gbb been in there? I tried to grow succulents with mine and they ended up dying from a mix of too little light and being choked with a blanket of webbing.
He's been in there about 50 days. My office has bright indirect sunlight from the window, but these succulents are definitely just surviving. I'm sure they won't thrive, but the hen-and-chicks have rooted nicely and started spreading. The crussula at the back isn't getting enough light and is starting to droop, but has put out a new leaf set and is travelling toward the light side of the tank. Its possible it adapts, but not sure.

I want to try with haworthia as they seem more resistant to low light settings. I have a bunch of young cacti and succulents in my office that I may rotate through there to see which adapt best.

The hen and chicks are definitely staying.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
What plant is that?
It is some kind of Tradescantia. Great plant for T terrariums, it was very cheap, I bought big plant for about 10$, and its growing like crazy. I just cut piece off, and put it into ground and its growing, just like that. That way I am not afraid to put it into terrarium of T that like to demolish;)

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Nice LP set-up, sort of what I have envisioned for mine, except I don't have the patience or chops to create a background wall, and I'd be a little worried about the potential drop-factor up front. Has yours ever tempted a ceiling-climb in there?

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
Thanks. Yea, making back wall took me few hours, but it was pleasant work;) Lp is huge, it was barely able to climb glass walls, was sliding slowly;) but never tried to climb celling. But when it was in plastic container....

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@Deeser It's not too tall per se, they have been observed to live in trees. However, to be safe I'd add more cage furniture than what you have now, vertically that is.

Deeser

Arachnosquire
@Deeser It's not too tall per se, they have been observed to live in trees. However, to be safe I'd add more cage furniture than what you have now, vertically that is.
The goal was for him to make a nice giant hammock in the branch cluster, but of course he knew that and decided to thwart my efforts by sticking to the corner.

Ill try adding more tall bush-like woody structures along the sides and back edge of the tank. Its pretty cool how agile he is climbing those twigs to catch a cricket camped up top :)