Should've named Tormund yogi

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
Meant to be funny, but dog gone! What an abdomen! I think my baby is going to molt again, but he/she will eat roach or mealworm put in front of said spider. I'm so pleased!! Proud momma!! We only feed three times a week! Is he/she part bear? Getting ready for winter.

Attachments

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's a really large abdomen and an overly frequent feeding schedule!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Tarantulas don't need to eat that often, and many will fast for days/weeks/months/years... so don't be worried if/when that happens.

I would back off on feeding this little guy. Being obese isn't healthy for any animal. Like all pets in captivity, we need to regulate their food intake because most won't do it themselves.

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
Then I shall scold my husband a bit. Over the spider babies and cat (poor thing paws me on my face when I'm sleeping for more food!)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Meant to be funny, but dog gone! What an abdomen! I think my baby is going to molt again, but he/she will eat roach or mealworm put in front of said spider. I'm so pleased!! Proud momma!! We only feed three times a week! Is he/she part bear? Getting ready for winter.
They only need fed once every week or two . This one will probably quit eating and go into pre molt super fat!!!
Need water once a week tho !:wideyed:

Make sure no pointy objects or rocks are In then enclosure , don’t want t to go pop!:panda: I had a loss once from a supposedly fall and t wasn’t even fat.

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
They only need fed once every week or two . This one will probably quit eating and go into pre molt super fat!!!
Need water once a week tho !:wideyed:

Make sure no pointy objects or rocks are In then enclosure , don’t want t to go pop!:panda: I had a loss once from a supposedly fall and t wasn’t even fat.
No pointy anything. Just dirt and spag moss. He/she has two bottle caps because one is pooped in a lot. Hubby is on probation.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
You can't overfeed a sling. They put everything into growth. It's their job to eat as much as they can to get bigger and stronger as fast as possible. ;)

I feed my slings twice a week or every 3 days, sometimes even more often if I think they're hungry. They will stop eating when it's time to moult.

It's a different issue with juvies and especially adults as they don't moult that often, and as a result you can get mechanical problems (rubbing injuries, abrasions, etc.) with them being overweight.

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
You can't overfeed a sling. They put everything into growth. It's their job to eat as much as they can to get bigger and stronger as fast as possible. ;)

I feed my slings twice a week or every 3 days, sometimes even more often if I think they're hungry. They will stop eating when it's time to moult.

It's a different issue with juvies and especially adults as they don't moult that often, and as a result you can get mechanical problems (rubbing injuries, abrasions, etc.) with them being overweight.
So is he over feeding and should I tell. Or is my baby okay?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Your baby is absolutely fine! :) As long as it eats three appropriately sized meals a week, let it. It will stop on its own eventually. And from what I can see your enclosure has not too much height, so no risk of falling too deep, which is great. So, just don't worry and look forward to a hopefully much bigger spider after its next moult. :)

I only would slow down meals when it reaches 1,5"-2" or so.

What species is it anyway?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I concur with @Thekla. You cannot over feed a sling. I feed mine every two or three days.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I just give them dubia no bigger then abdomen but crickets & superworms are better if you have less Ts.:wacky:
One big meal is same as 3 smaller ones.